Fuel pump to complete engine failure question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump to complete engine failure question

Skyliner218

Reaction score
City, State
Warroad, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sport
My 1998 Explorer was having issues with not starting and appeared to not be getting any fuel.

It died on my son when he rolled up to an intersection, and would turn over but not start. I had the local shop pull it in, and their diagnosis was a bad fuel pump. I did question it a bit as there had been a few incidents of the battery appearing to be dead when it was fully charged. I had cleaned the grounds and we were not seeing that problem, but in the back of my mind I was also wondering if there could be an issue with the anti-theft system or the PCM.

Anyway, they put in a new fuel pump, and it fired right up after so they said it was fixed. We picked up the truck, but noticed fairly soon that it was having an issue with wanting to die if you gave it too much accelerator. It would dog like that for a bit, then run fine. Shortly after it was start dogging again. We also noticed a strong smell of gas shortly after filling it up.

I brought the truck back to the shop, and while the mechanic added some fuel, I noticed that gas was dripping. Turns out the fuel return line was not connected. He put that back on, and it appeared to be running fine while I drove it home.

A couple of days later it started acting up again and had the same symptoms as before, so it went back to the shop again to be looked at. It sat for a few days and when he finally went to look at it, started up and ran just fine. He let it idle for over an hour and did a quick test drive with no problems. Back home it went with us.

24 hours later it starts running bad again while my son was driving it, and almost did not make it home. I went out to look at it and it would barely run, with the idle going up and down. I was able to get that to level out a bit by giving it some gas, and decided to drive it over to the shop once again to show him what was happening. This time instead of it wanting to die when it was given too much accelerator, it had almost no power unless you kicked the gas down. I was able to get it to the shop and show him how bad the idle was, and also that it was now blowing dark exhaust. Seemed like it was flooding. He agreed to look at it again.

Well, just got word yesterday that he had tried everything he could think of, and basically said the engine is shot. There were no issues prior to this other than it not starting, and when it did start it ran fine... but that was BEFORE they changed the fuel pump.

So, my question is... could that fuel return line being disconnected have started a series of events that lead to this situation where they believe the engine either needs to be replaced, or the car should be scrapped? I would think if it was in that bad of shape, we would have seen signs of problems before this. Really, everything went to hell with that fuel pump change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

(I'm out on a limb here; I'm no auto expert.) OBDII codes? Last time fuel filter was replaced? Sometimes simple works?

(I'm out on a limb here; I'm no auto expert.) OBDII codes? Last time fuel filter was replaced? Sometimes simple works?
The fuel filter was changed at the same time as the pump. Seems that it went from a fuel starved state to a massively flooded state. I do not know what codes were showing yet as they talked to my wife last night. Will be stopping there myself today.

What is so wrong with the engine that it is shot? If its just because it wont start you way want to get a second opinion. What must haves are missing? Any codes? after that I would start with "what is the compression on each cylinder"?

My main question is, do you have the 4.0 SOHC or 4.0 OHV, if you have the SOHC, do a compression test, they jump time in old age due to timing guide failures, especially on the passenger side head where few people I've found notice the weird marble in a can noise.

Sounds like your mechanic doesn't know what he's doing and is tired of messing with your truck. The return line not being connected might have started a fire, but having it disconnected wouldn't have caused any other problems. It just carries unneeded fuel back to the tank.

Does your "check engine light" work? Is it on or has it been on? It sounds like you'd have to have some ODB II codes with the problems you're experiencing. As far as the engine being shot, a seriously damaged engine doesn't run good one day, bad the next, then good again. I'd be thinking sensors that affect the air/fuel ratio. MAF sensor, O2 sensors, cam position sensor, IAC, but all of these things would set the CEL and log DTC's.

If you have the SOHC V6, they are prone to failure due to timing chain issues, but once they jump time and bend valves the don't run good the next day.

Take it to another mechanic that has some diagnostic skills.

Yeah I also would want a different mechanic, or DIY, be ready the next time it's running rough and while it is, hook up an OBDII scan tool capable of showing live data, check the fuel rail pressure, and check for spark on all cylinders.

You might also pull the spark plugs and examine them and do a compression test while they're out, but I agree with koda that if it runs good the next day it should be something fixable, not a "shot" engine.

It's hard to speculate about what "everything" was the mechanic tried, but I hope someone has already looked over a few basics to confirm you're not losing coolant, oil, or getting the two mixed together.

If you can't or don't want to do any of the diagnostics yourself, take it to Ford and pay their diagnostic fee. You definitely need a second opinion.

Back