fuel pumps | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fuel pumps

The Motorcrafts rust out since Ford uses mild steel for the pump assembly, just like they do for the exhaust. Of course it's going to rust and disintegrate.
I was just happy that the retaining ring on the fuel tank was still strong enough to be used.

I went with a NAPA pump assembly when I replaced the original Motorcraft when it started getting really loud. I think it was a Carter as well, but the assembly on mine looked like it was made from Stainless Steel, it was so polished and shiny.

The best thing about getting it from NAPA was the lifetime warranty. NAPA has been cutting the warranty on it's products for years though, but if it says "Limited Lifetime Replacement" or something similar on the receipt, you can exchange it for a new one if it ever stops working.

Also, a new fuel pump gives a performance boost. I didn't realize how tired the original Motorcraft was until I had a new fuel pump in there.

Don't forget to replace the fuel filter as well, especially if it's also the original.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you get the assembly changed? I'm having trouble with my display, showing a lot of black over pages of the threads.

I have a new Ford 91-94 assembly I bought to use in my old 93 tank, for my 98 Mercury. I don't need it now since I decided to make the later assembly fit the old plastic 93 tank. I used the pump a year ago but the rest is stuck somewhere in the box. Let me know if you need one still.

Don't forget to replace the fuel filter as well, especially if it's also the original.

I plan to change it also. My notes say I last changed the fuel filter in 2006 which kind of surprised me. Of course that's only about 40,000 miles ago so not too bad. Time flies, seems like I just changed it a few years ago.

Did you get the assembly changed? I'm having trouble with my display, showing a lot of black over pages of the threads.

Not yet. Once I got in there I decided to treat the seams on the body, and brackets for rust, since the tank was out -- a few pics in here
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/fuel-tank-skid-plate-need-opinion.465928/

I have a new Ford 91-94 assembly I bought to use in my old 93 tank, for my 98 Mercury. I don't need it now since I decided to make the later assembly fit the old plastic 93 tank. I used the pump a year ago but the rest is stuck somewhere in the box. Let me know if you need one still.

Thanks for the offer. I have a sender/pump assembly ready to go in, probably this weekend (a few more body-related things I need to do this weekend, hopefully I can finish those, put the new unit in, and go). Also I need to change the fuel filter, but that shouldn't take me more than 30 minutes -- 25 minutes wrestling with the fittings, and 5 minutes changing the filter.

I finished the install. The truck has more power, or I could be imagining things, or I could still be in the afterglow of my 3.27's to 4.10 job. The Carter pump sounds like a wild animal under there, compared to the feeble whine the old pump had.

What would someone do, if the lockring tines on the fuel tank were worn out (as @Anime mentions, above)? What would we do then? Fortunately mine were "ok".

Sender/float seems to be working property -- I did test it prior to install so I had high hopes. I guess I will know more as I burn off this gas, but so far it reads ok. I'd advise securing the straps FIRST when reinstalling the tank. Do not try to secure the straps and skidplate all at once, or you'll get a wrestling match that will wear you out. Why I did that, I'll never know...sometimes I am a bonehead.

Yes, nothing sounds like the whine of the original pump. On my 1994, the outer ring on the tank was about as rusted as could be. Luckily I managed to get it to hold on. Unless you could find some bolt on deal, you might just have to get a new tank if it ever comes to that. On my 1994 mazda B4000 (I assume rangers have the same tank) it has a plastic screw top that works fantastic. I don't know why explorers didn't have this.

Is that Mazda B4000 tank the same size as the 1st gen tank?

No. Mine is a regular cab, short box. The tank only holds about 15 gallons. The fuel sending units are though. When the one rusted on my B4000, I pulled the unit out of my 1994 explorer and it fits perfect. The electrical connectors are different, but I just used spade connectors instead. It unfortunate how reliable this truck has been, I've driven it daily for almost three years, and the only repairs have been the clutch slave cylinder and the fuel sending unit rusted out. Both those happened right after I got it, and I've been driving it trouble free since. It gets about 21 MPG, but only a range of around 200 miles with the small tank. I still think the explorer is a better platform than the ranger.

No. Mine is a regular cab, short box. The tank only holds about 15 gallons.

In terms of dimensions though, I guess it has to be smaller. So, worst-case scenario, I could swap in a Ranger/B4000 tank and it would fit? Or maybe, I would just go with a fuel cell, if I had to. I like the idea of that plastic screw-on sender assembly, that sounds really superior.

In terms of dimensions though, I guess it has to be smaller. So, worst-case scenario, I could swap in a Ranger/B4000 tank and it would fit? Or maybe, I would just go with a fuel cell, if I had to. I like the idea of that plastic screw-on sender assembly, that sounds really superior.

That should be the best answer if yours won't seal properly at some point.

I'll let you know how dumb my idea ends up being for my 98 to add the BW4406 and electric shift(TOD). I've got my old 93 tank, and a damaged 99 for material. I'm going to try to graft the top section of the metal tank with the pickup etc, to my plastic tank. The plastic pre-95 tanks take up less space compared to the later steel units. The 93 4dr tank is the same length as the 95-01 2dr tanks, so I can keep the 22 gallon capacity if it works.

Back