focker

Reaction score
City, State
MIchigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Hello,

A couple of questions for everyone.

1 - On my way to work this mornin my fuel pump took a crap.I beat on the tank with a hammer and got it to engage again. How long will this fix last???

2-To replace the fuel pump I will need to take off the gas tank . Is there any tips or tricks shortcuts I shoul;d know about? And is this somthing I should even attempt??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just ask AlaskanJack...

No, its not too bad. Just crawl under the truck with a couple of sockets and start loosening bolts.

First remove bolts that hold the straps around the tank down

Then remove bolts that hold the skid plate on and the tank should start to lower

loosen hose clamps and remove fill and vent hoses

Remove electrial connection from pump

Then using 3/8" ac/fuel line removal tool to disconnect fuel lines from pump and slide tank out.

Unscrew pump retainer ring

Remove pump/pump assembly

Replace pump/pump assembly

Reassemble

Is the fuel line disconnect tool nessecary or will I be able to get it with somthing else???

JD

It's necessary, ask Alaska, and it's only about $5-10 for a set.

I did hear of someone splitting a chapstick tube and sliding them over the fitting to disconnect. It might work in a pinch.

When you buy the pump. pick-up a new retaining ring at the same time. Chances are that the old ring will be corroded and break. If it is corroded, just break it out rather than trying to turn it off.

And one other thing, use a brass punch/drift for removal and or installation of the ring. You don't want any sparks.

Bill M.

Back