• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Rail Connections

Jgelsinger

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Rookie here just installed new injectors in my 97 4.0 and cannot for the life of me find what line connects to the middle port on the driver side of the fuel rail.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you referring to the OHV 4.0 ? .... port or screw hole?.... on my 4.0 there's a (what I believe) is a wire harness attachment screw hole....check your harness running by that spot and see if theres a clip on it right in that area...maybe P.O. removed it and never put back or might of just popped off while wrangling everything...

fuel rail.jpg

F R 2.jpg

Are you referring to the OHV 4.0 ? .... port or screw hole?.... on my 4.0 there's a (what I believe) is a wire harness attachment screw hole....check your harness running by that spot and see if theres a clip on it right in that area...maybe P.O. removed it and never put back or might of just popped off while wrangling everything...

View attachment 326163

View attachment 326164
Thats i

View attachment 326163

View attachment 326164
Thats it. Ive looked all over and can't seem to find anything. After moving forward assuming it wasn't used in my models application I cant hold an idle. But I received the wrong plenum gaskets and will reinstall them hoping that does it. It revs up well and holds at 3K rpm. But nothing under that. Im going to the O2 sensors next if it continues to fail idling after the gasket

Yeah... there's a lot of confusion and different application on which "combination" or lack of combination of upper plenum / fuel rail gaskets to use on particular 4.0 ohv years.... just doing a search for mid to upper 90's models and you'll have DIFFERENT kits come up for almost any given year!
My kit I ordered came with two "cardboard" gaskets....but from the feedback I got ...from more then one source was that I only use ONE for my '95.
Here's a video of a '99 Ford 4.0 ohv (on 99 Mazda pickup) ....see the 10:14 minute mark....his 4.0ohv uses both cardboard gaskets and plastic spacer....

And for this situation I would of course just go with "what was on yours when you took it apart" ...unless of course someone got it back from mechanic and then had a vacuum leak issue.... or purchased vehicle with vacuum leak...then the research of course would apply. Ok...rant over.
So on my 95 I just have the rubber "ring insert" gaskets between the fuel rail and upper plenum intake-- no cardboard......and below fuel rail just have one "cardboard".... what was your setup when you took everything apart?... How do you know you have the wrong gaskets/ being you reinstalled with what you got ?....maybe I'm missing something here....
**** ALSO....DID YOU PUT A NEW SEAL AT TOP OF EGR TUBE that goes into upper plenum? ....did you leave this EGR tube attached to exhaust and work plenum back on it ? ...these can slip off or get damaged if doing the "work intake back on it" approach ...ask me how I know! ... have someone start vehicle and spray carb cleaner at this connection and see if idle raises to see if sealed good....or do my smoke test

EGR MAIN2.jpg

Yeah... there's a lot of confusion and different application on which "combination" or lack of combination of upper plenum / fuel rail gaskets to use on particular 4.0 ohv years.... just doing a search for mid to upper 90's models and you'll have DIFFERENT kits come up for almost any given year!
My kit I ordered came with two "cardboard" gaskets....but from the feedback I got ...from more then one source was that I only use ONE for my '95.
Here's a video of a '99 Ford 4.0 ohv (on 99 Mazda pickup) ....see the 10:14 minute mark....his 4.0ohv uses both cardboard gaskets and plastic spacer....

And for this situation I would of course just go with "what was on yours when you took it apart" ...unless of course someone got it back from mechanic and then had a vacuum leak issue.... or purchased vehicle with vacuum leak...then the research of course would apply. Ok...rant over.
So on my 95 I just have the rubber "ring insert" gaskets between the fuel rail and upper plenum intake-- no cardboard......and below fuel rail just have one "cardboard".... what was your setup when you took everything apart?... How do you know you have the wrong gaskets/ being you reinstalled with what you got ?....maybe I'm missing something here....
**** ALSO....DID YOU PUT A NEW SEAL AT TOP OF EGR TUBE that goes into upper plenum? ....did you leave this EGR tube attached to exhaust and work plenum back on it ? ...these can slip off or get damaged if doing the "work intake back on it" approach ...ask me how I know! ... have someone start vehicle and spray carb cleaner at this connection and see if idle raises to see if sealed good....or do my smoke test

View attachment 326225

I know I have the wrong gaskets because its for the sohc. Substantially different as you know. Mine is the same as yours. Cardboard on the bottom rubber up top. The Mahle kit i ordered came with the egr rubber too. Ill be swapping it today. But first im going to locate some valve cover gaskets and just go all the way down to the lower intake. Screw it im almost there once the fuel rail is off anyhow. Thanks again for following up with me. Rant all you like lol. Ive replaced many components over the years. But this is my first time diving I to the belly of the beast, so to speak. Ill update my progress this afternoon

Okay.... make sure to use some RTV in the front and back of lower / main intake manifold mating areas-- certain critical spots --- the video I posted that guy addresses exact spots...and many posts have commented about that. I stopped short of doing lower intake myself but have noticed comments about this red flag to be aware of.

Back