fuel rail removal in reinstall help 2005 4.6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

martin_95037

Reaction score
City, State
Morgan Hill, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer EB 4.6 V8
How do I remove the fuel rail? Currently replacing the intake manifold and am puzzled by how to remove it on both sides.

image.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The injectors have o rings on the top and bottom. Going into the rail and into the manifold. There are two fasteners on either side securing rail to manifold, one 90* ground connector on a stud, a quick disconnect (shouldn't need to disconnect). Have to carefully pry rail, although o rings have a good grip. You can disengage each injector clip and leave injectors in manifold and remove one by one once rail is out or pull rail with all injectors. Your choice. Just be careful of injector clips.

I would get new o rings since fuel system is pressurized and those may have never have been replaced.

How old is this manifold? Has it ever been replaced?

The manifold is original. Just got it off last night and surfaces cleaned up pretty good but still more cleaning to do.

Here is a video I found of someone taking the injectors off. Skip to 5:00 minutes, the music is terrible. I knew it had something o do with the clip just a pain to get off.

Got 1 side out successfully. The other side did not go so well. Ford and Napa do not carry the part anymore. Any recommendations on where to buy a fuel rail?

image.jpg

Back