• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Regulator Follow-up

Shondue

Reaction score
City, State
Somerset, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4x4
I came home from work last night and the explorer wouldn't start, so when I opened the hood and turned on the key I could see fuel shooting about 18" out of the intake area towards the passenger fender. The local autozone folks seemed to all think that it was the pressure regulator. Original post

a pressure regulator leaking like that. Sounds more like a fuel injector hose connection. FPR is in that side and only mounts with 2 bolts, screw off the return line, and slide off the vacuum line. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes and about $60. I'd verify where the gas is coming from first and use some safety glasses! Maximum pressure is 39#. Opera House

Now the leak was the line off the lower section of the regulator. Replaced the line reducer with a new one. The X still acts like it is flooded Bad!! What does the lower line do? How much presure should be on it? Is the regulator still bad?? Please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explain that again

There is a push on hose on the bottom for the vacuum line that should have no trace of gas. The high pressure feed couples with the fuel rail through an O ring held in place by the two mounting bolts. The return line to the fuel tank, which has a much lower pressure, is located on the top. Around the middle of the FPR is crimped seam. The injectors connect to the fuel rail with short sections of hose. Where is it leaking?

Just a note: f the regulator is replaced you should disconnect the battery for 15 minutes so the computer can learn the new pressure. They are all slightly different. I never understood the comment about the 39# fuel pressure.

It has fuel in the line below that is for vacuum. So now is that because the regulator is bad? How do I get the gas out of the vacumm system or will it eventually evaporate?

The regulator is definitely bad

If there is gas in the vacuum line. I don't see how that relates to shooting gas up 18". That line would have been big enough to flow all the gas to the intake manifold. If you found some tubing that would fit on the connection, you could pipe it into a bottle as a test. The engine will run with the vacuum line off. First, I would remove the cover from the throttle body and jam the throttle open to vent the gas out over night. Unclamping the air duct might also be a good idea. I'm not there but it sounded like a lot of gas that could have leaked down to the oil. Check the oil level and how it smells. Normally engine oil can take a pint of gas befor damage is done. More than that, and it could wipe the bearings. You'll have to make a personal decision as to whether you need to change the oil before you start it again. Probably not that bad, just want to make you aware. Verify that the gas is coming out of that vacuum hose connection. You won't need to start the engine to do this, only turn the key to ON a few times.

It's fixed!!!!!!!!!

That did it. It was the fuel pressure regulator. There is some gas in the oil but not enough to change the level. Time for an oil change anyway. Thanks for every ones help and guidance.:p :p :p :D :D

Back