Fuel Smell.......

Unclebernie

Reaction score
City, State
Londesborough, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT, '04 Sport Trac
Hello everyone,
Lately I have been smelling fuel by the drivers side rear tire. I was wondering where to look first. Vent line, hole in tank, on a tight budget so any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, it does not seem to be leaking any fuel.
Thanx John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One of the common fuel leaks will be on top ofthe fuel tank where it's hard to see.
Check for blockage of the evaporative emissions system (including a cannister purge solenoid that's stuck closed).

Also if the smell is more apparent like after you get off the higway and stop, you might look at the canister purge solenoid.

Thanks alot for the information, I will check these out before I get to removing the tank. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thx again

410Fortune said:
Also if the smell is more apparent like after you get off the higway and stop, you might look at the canister purge solenoid.
I have the EXACT problem as you described. Where is this located exactly? Is this something I could clean up and re-use or is this something that must be replaced?

X-factor: Not sure where the CANP solenoid is on the 2nd gen, but I think's it's back by the spare tire somewhere. If the CANP solenoid is stuck closed, whether or not you could clean it up and reuse it depends on why it's not opening. If it's just dirty, you might be able to clean it out and get it to work. If it's electrical, you may have to replace the solenoid, or it could just be a bad connection between the computer and the CANP solenoid. I'm not at all familiar with your EEC-V system, but I would expect that, if the computer can't see that it isn't opening, the computer has tests built into it that would help determine if the CANP solenoid is opening or not.

Unclebernie said:
Hello everyone,
Lately I have been smelling fuel by the drivers side rear tire. I was wondering where to look first. Vent line, hole in tank, on a tight budget so any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, it does not seem to be leaking any fuel.
Thanx John

I had the exact same symptoms on my previous 91 & 93 X's. The "elbows" on the fuel line at the pump ass'y were leaking. Fuel lines were corroded.

Check the under side of your fuel tank and/or shield. If you notice any damp/stained area's, then you will need to replace the fuel pump assembly.

Back