Fuel Spit-back - TSB 22-2176 Superceded by TSB 22-2433 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Spit-back - TSB 22-2176 Superceded by TSB 22-2433

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Hello Folks -- unsure if anyone actively dealing with the issue of fuel "spit back" during your visit to pump?
With my 2020 Explorer ST, I can't fully fill the gas tank or fuel will flow out of filler tube.
I spoke with local dealer service dept and they had no idea.
I spoke with local trusted service shop and was sent TSB 22-2176 which (a) exactly describes my behavior, and (b) matches make/model year of explorer.
However, when I called back local dealer service department about topic and referred to TSB 22-2176, they instead told me that super super-ceded by TSB 22-2433 (and quoted cost of $2400 to fix).
Issues and topics:
  1. when does TSB become warranty recall?
  2. why can't I locate TSB 22-2433 ?
  3. If I refer to TSB 22-2176 (which is public), there are multiple filler pipe part numbers referenced for various make/models. the Explorer filler tube is Ford part 'L1MZ-9034-W'.
  4. when I call Ford parts dept and ask "is L1MZ-9034-W' the latest version of filler pipe for my Explorer ST?", I'm told that is NOT the correct part number and it is instead 'L1MZ-9034-AJ'.
  5. I can't locate anything about "L1MZ-9034-AJ" on Internet. I was quoted $151 to dealer.
Why isn't any __current__ information publicly available to describe what FORD using to resolve my issue(s)?
Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated.
-GA

Hello -- this is first vehicle where I've consistently had a problem with Gas Overflow @ fuel pump.

The vehicle is stock 2020 Ford Explorer ST.

Typical gas station is COSTCO with the plastic fuel vent cowling on nozzle.

I've tried changing the FLOW rate from MAX to one-step down.

Leave nozzle in place until tank full. Nozzle clicks and gas spurts out and all side of car and wheel.

super boring. any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if there is an issue with venting the filler tube? We have never had an over fill issue with our '20 ST. The only filling issue we have had is having it click off too soon. We found that pulling the nozzle out a bit stopped that from happening. With the nozzle fully inserted it would click off regularly.

Fuel EVAP canister vent/purge valve has failed or vent line is kinked/damaged.

Haven't had that happen since my '95 Ram Wagon. Learned that day not to get very far from the nozzle.

Does it happen at any other gas station in your area? The Costco station around here gave me the same issue with my 19 Ram pickup. The large vapor recovery plastic shield made it difficult to get the nozzle deep enough into the filer neck.

If it only happens at Costco, just slow down the final delivery rate or try to hold the nozzle deeper into the filler neck before you try to spend a lot of time at the dealership.

I've never had that issue and have never seen a fuel vent on a pump nozzle here.

Peter

I fill mine almost exclusively at Costco. Nozzle wide-open until it clicks, wait 30 seconds and start it again. I have to hold the nozzle's guard during the last gallon or so.

My answer is from experience by the way.

Hello Folks -- unsure if anyone actively dealing with the issue of fuel "spit back" during your visit to pump?

With my 2020 Explorer ST, I can't fully fill the gas tank or fuel will flow out of filler tube.
I spoke with local trusted service shop and was sent TSB 22-2176 which (a) exactly describes my behavior, and (b) matches make/model year of explorer.

However, when I called back local dealer service department about topic and referred to TSB 22-2176, they instead told me that super super-ceded by TSB 22-2433 (and quoted cost of $2400 to fix).

Issues and topics:
  3. If I refer to TSB 22-2176 (which is public), there are multiple filler pipe part numbers referenced for various make/models. the Explorer filler tube is Ford part 'L1MZ-9034-W'.
  4. when I call Ford parts dept and ask "is L1MZ-9034-W' the latest version of filler pipe for my Explorer ST?", I'm told that is NOT the correct part number and it is instead 'L1MZ-9034-AJ'.
  5. I can't locate anything about "L1MZ-9034-AJ" on Internet. I was quoted $151 to dealer.
Why isn't any __current__ information publicly available to describe what FORD using to resolve my issue(s)?

-GA

reference previous post months ago before I talked with dealer and local service folks HERE.

What's the mileage on your Explorer? I'm not sure if coverage would be 3/36 or 5/60 on the TSB.

When my cannister vent/purge valve failed I couldn't pump gas normally. Gas would spit out or I would have to pump really slowly and the pump would stop like 20 times before i eventually would get the tank full. It's a little valve with an electrical connection and a couple hoses toward the back of the fuel tank.

Issues and topics:
-GA
Hi,
Interesting topic... How many miles do you have on your ST? If it's still under warranty, it should be covered. Does it happen at all stations, or just one that you use regularly? If this happens frequently with Explorers, I would think Ford would be forced to fix it as it could easily cause a fire, as well as break EPA laws on spillage.

I had this happen once on my 2020 ST. I blaimed it on attempting to over-fill to get to even $ amount. The pump had clicked off a couple times before this happened. It was full and the pump didn't shut off. I blamed myself, but will watch for issue in future.

I also have 2 C7 Vettes and they have shutoff issues (shut off continually when filling them up) at a couple specific stations. I blame the shutoff sensitivity of the pumps, rather than the vehicle. This happens with both my Vette that resides in Midwest, as well as the one here in FL.

When my cannister vent/purge valve failed I couldn't pump gas normally. Gas would spit out or I would have to pump really slowly and the pump would stop like 20 times before i eventually would get the tank full. It's a little valve with an electrical connection and a couple hoses toward the back of the fuel tank.
41b9624553b95cbcfd9549946edde437.png

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Issues and topics:
-GA
I had problems on my 1999 Ranger with the fuel filling. I had to just squeeze the fuel nozzle slowly or it splashed out or the fuel flow word stop. The problem I discovered was the paint coating inside the fuel filler tube was flaking off and clogging the filler strainer screen. I used some mechanical fingers , a rag and wheel bearing grease. Put grease on the rag, used the fingers down into filler tube. The paint chips stuck to the grease and I did this several times. You can probably see the paint chips with a small flashlight. No problem since.

Back