Fuel tank drop. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel tank drop.

68fastback

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Can anyone tell me how to drop the fuel tank on a 1993 Explorer so I can replace the fuel pump ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 91-94 section. You have a couple of metal straps holding the tank in place. Disconnect the fill hose, fuel lines, and the electrical connectors. Place a floor jack with a board under the tank, then lower it. You might not have to drop it completely to get to the sending until. Don't put stress on the fittings. Always make sure that there is no pressure in the fuel lines before you disconnect the fittings.

Thanks for the info. One thing, there is a large metal plate below the tank. I've found some of the retaining bolts but there seems to be more to it and I am having trouble finding the "rest of the story" to get it out. I'm aware of the fuel line depressure needs as I just replaced the fuel filter. Is there an access hatch in the cargo compartment on this model ? I know I can deal with the pump exchange if I can just get that beast out.

I've did it two months ago on my 93 EB to replace the fuel pump. I remember there are three small bolts that's holding the metal plate near the front and when I removed it, the darn thing fell on me. You removed the bolt besides the rear tire too right?

Back