Fuel tank Electrical connections on a 1996 Exp EB | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel tank Electrical connections on a 1996 Exp EB

rickv2009

Reaction score
City, State
Juneau, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer
Hello,

I have a 96 ford explorer. I recently replaced the fuel pump by dropping the tank. (what a pain) Upon reassembly I noticed another connection at the tank. There is a connection going to the pump and another going to and attaching to the tank. I need to know what the one attached to the tank is. I also need to get a replacement. I cannot get a replacement if I do not know what it is for or called. To connect it, on the plug it says to push down and turn. It has not effected the performance eccept when the tank gets below 1/4 tank it will not start. I thought it might be because of the old problem of letting the tank get too empty but I think it has something to do with this connector. I do not have a picture but I scanned it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Note - this is for my 97 Ex.

There is a fuel tank pressure transducer that mounts next to the pump assembly - with an electrical connector.

more than likely an emission based system ... probably when to vent vapors back to the intake.

OK I am still having issues with this exp. I took it to a shop and they said it was out of gas. Mainly because there was a leak that was pushing out all the gas. I repaired the leak and it ran great for about a week or so.

Went to the store and came back out and it will not start. It says it has almost 3/4 of a tank. I tapped on the tank and it sounds like it does have fuel.

I changed out the fuel relay, still will not start. I had my daughter crank on it while I pressed the fuel rail bleeder. No fuel came out. I know the fuel pump is good. Well I am pretty sure it is good. I changed it myself. How can I narrow down the issue. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 96 exp EB? I am getting really irritated.

I tend to doubt your issue is being caused by the evap system.

First and foremost verify if the pump runs at all. Listen at the pump to see if it primes when you turn the key to on (sounds like a whine for a second or two). If you hear the pump when the key is turned and no gas is making it to the rail, it could be the fuel filter is blocked. However since you mentioned it was dying around 1/4 tank at first and now at 3/4 most likely either 1) the fuel sock is bent or against something at bottom of tank blocking fuel pickup, or 2) a pump hose clamp came off. Time to drop the tank and investigate.

If there is no sound from the pump when the key is turned to accompany no fuel at the rail, the pump simply is not turning on. Time to check the electric connector above the tank. A simple test light is sufficient - unplug from top of tank and insert the probe. You can usually reach this okay from the wheel well with the tire off. No power there check the relays and cutoff switch. If connector has power but pump doesnt run the problem is in the tank. It's possible a wire connection inside the tank came apart but just as likely you got a defective pump. Airtex is known for having a high number of bad ones out of the box. Unfortunately as before time to drop the tank and go investigating.

As a second thought, was there any problems of this type (cutting out, irregular power) before changing the pump? If so, you may have replaced a good part and not solved the original issue.

Check the inertia switch! I had almost the same problem, my inertia switch got unplugged thanks to one of my friends big feet. Stupid position to put one BTW.

You were right. I checked it a while back but when I checked it last week it was slightly unplugged. I plugged it in then rattled it (after unscrewing it from the firewall) and it killed the engine. I reset it and the vehicle started right up.

Thank you everyone for all the help. I now just need new hubs and stereo and it should be a good runner for a while.

Back