Fuel tank sender problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel tank sender problem?

Jarmo

Reaction score
City, State
Yorkshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
Can anyone shed some light on this one for me please?

SWMBO took our Ex to our caravan at the weekend a distance of about 90 miles, whilst I was down at Brooklands enjoying some Mercedes fun and Frolics (my other passion is MB have a Brabus CLK)

She came home and went to the theatre yesterday evening (wait I'm geting there) came out of the theatre and despite having done over 200 very reliable miles since Saturday the Ex would not start, she phones me who is doing a bit of low level flying up the M1, I get her to try and start it whilst I listen on phone but it just turns over.

I get to it 11pm last night fuel guage on 1/4 but no sign of life, tank sounds empty so thought got to be worth a shot putting a gallon of fuel in out of a can. Added a gallon of fuel it fired first time and fuel guage fell to zero. I must admit the Ex was parked on an incredibly steep hill facing downwards.

Is this a common problem? Is it likely to be the tank sender? One thing we have noticed is that the fuel guage wanders up and down quite a lot.

The only good news out of this is that over this weekend the Ex did 22.6 mpg which I think is really good.

Any comments on the above most welcome

regards
Ian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same symptoms with mine just after I got it (my driveway is on a steep incline).

Think the fuel gauge is a bit iffy as it fluctuates at about 1/4 of a tank. I just tend to fill up when the gauge reaches 1/4 full. Have heard it's fairly common to have an unreliable fuel gauge with these

hi all. the tank on the explorers is long and narrow with the sender/pump near to the back so when it gets low on petrol going up or down hills will give large variations to readings if it was low on petrol and on steep hill facing down hill the petrol would run away from the pump best to not let them run to low. cheers Chris

Thanks Chris, thats exactly what I suspected but did not know the tank or delivery arrangements for the fuel. Will just fill up at 1/4 tank in future.

Thanks
Ian

Had a similar issue when tank was low and parked facing downhill. Very embarrassing as I was opposite a petrol station. Just rolled her down the hill and filled up. As has been said the tank is long and thin with the pump/sensor almost at the rear, so when getting low gradients make a huge difference to the readings and the ability to start!!!!!. Had she parked face up she would not have had a problem.

Yup the sender unit is a dog at less than a quarter mate- best keep a score in the tank! Its one of many known issues....but still you gotta love em mate! They smoke most 4b4s!!!
Hope you love your Ex as we do mate- nice to have you with us.

Back