fuel tank skid plate - need opinion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fuel tank skid plate - need opinion

Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
Do you all think that if I have a bolt head (or two) sticking out of the bottom side of the fuel tank skid plate, that I am risking ripping something off? Or should something no longer than a bolt head not concern me?

(FYI typically when offroad my truck wouldn't see massive rocks, probably at most, small rocks or deeply rutted logging trails / tree roots etc.)

Any insight or opinions welcome...thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is what I'm doing...did some restoration on the skid plate...had to weld in some new metal where the bracket/strap ran diagonally under the fuel tank, then POR-15'ed the whole thing (1 coat so far, 1 to go). Take a good look at that bracket for some LOL's...that's right, what happened to it?:

IMG_0218.JPG

A closeup of what's left of that passenger side bracket. I guess I could have fabbed my own bracket, but the ends were still very good and strong metal, so I decided to keep the ends. Plus this doesn't carry that much weight, relatively speaking (there are two "real" straps on the front and back of the fuel tank, and this third one (poorly designed by Ford, in my opinion) appears to be an afterthought. Anyway, the two 3/8" diameter holes, and the grinded (ground?) part of the bracket near the holes, are my doing...for what screwy ideas I have planned:

IMG_0219.JPG

I plan to bend that metal strap to basically re-form the strap that rusted away under there for 20+ years. Ford used some sort of large rivets to secure the strap to the base of the skid plate, but I do not trust rivets in that environment -- I plan to use a pair of 3/8" stainless bolts and nuts there...

IMG_0220.JPG

The other end of that strap will then attach to the remaining bracket on the driver's side, via two 3/8" stainless bolts and nuts. The two bolts in the base will protrude just a bit under the skidplate. I just don't trust rivets (which would be marginally more flush), despite the whole assembly not holding that much weight.

The stock bracket has a bolt head that sticks down on that inside edge since it's a two-part strap, with the horizontal flat part from the skid plate meeting the vertical part coming down from the frame, then being bolted together, sandwiching the tank with the skid plate.

More bolts that don't hang down any lower won't present much of a clearance issue, but they will of course provide teeth to grab stuff that would otherwise slide along the smooth skid.

That wouldn't be my biggest concern, though. Part of the reason Ford used rivets for the straps was so that there wasn't anything that could puncture the fuel tank. It may be plastic but bolts are certainly capable of popping or wearing a hole in the bottom of the tank, even if only over a period of time from movement or vibration, or in the event of a collision or hitting something hard enough that pushed the skid plate into the tank.

I'd say use something like pan head bolts so the smooth head is on the top, then tack weld those to the bracket or make square bolt holes for pan heads with the rectangular part under the head so they don't rotate, then use nylock or metal retaining nuts on the bottom to hold the tank.

Really, the best thing would be to just weld the strap to the skid plate, so there's no fasteners at all other than the one in the stock location, putting the skid plate bracket and frame bracket together.

When I pulled the skid plate on mine to drop the tank, I noticed all the factory bolts holding the skid plate and the tank straps were way longer than necessary and it took way too much effort to remove them since that much thread sticking out made a magnet for heavy rust, and of course the exposed threads were hard to get to with anything but a small wire brush and some spray lube.

I replaced all of them with shorter class 8.8 bolts, theres still a few threads sticking out past the retaining nut so they're safe and won't loosen. I also used regular loose washers since I couldn't get flange heads in a metric size.

Thanks for the feedback and good ideas. Panhead bolts are a good idea.

As you mention, I have been considering riveting the holed strip to the skidplate also, or supplementing it with rivets. I did mock up the setup last night. There are baffle indentations in the tank in this area, which may allow quite a bit of room for something small like a bolt head or rivet. Probably by design by Ford's engineers.

Incidentally those two raised oval areas on the skid plate (in the pic), had some sort of insulated thick tape on them from the factory. It was degraded to the point where I am replacing the tape + insulation that was there. I plan to use a coat of permatex black on the tops of the two oval areas, followed by some really sticky outdoor tape (3M heavy duty tape I have). This will mimic the OEM setup, I think. And those raised ovals + the padding do slightly raise the tank above the skidplate, giving yet more clearance underneath...

Back