Fuel Tank Strap Rusted Through

drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
Hello everyone. I have been hearing some rattling from under the truck for a few days, and I put it up on my ramps, to find the fuel tank skid plate was likely the source. I thought there was supposed to be some clearance between the plate and tank, and taking a closer look the strap is rusted all the way through. Now the tank appears to be resting on the skid plate. I need to replace the strap...EDIT: just checked they have one at the local parts house.

Oh, I just looked at the tripmeter...I have been exactly 1.7 miles since fill-up!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I'd put a piece of rubber between the tank and the skid plate and drive it until the tank was empty. you've got to get the tank away from the frame as the strap keys into a slot in the frame rail. working in my driveway, I had to bend the strap a bit to give it enough room to release.

That's a good idea, Koda...some old bike innertubes perhaps. That was what was worrying me, is it safe to drive like that. The padding should help.

That's a good idea, Koda...some old bike innertubes perhaps. That was what was worrying me, is it safe to drive like that. The padding should help.

I have a big-truck mud flap I'd use (they're really cheap at o'reilly's. they're easily cut with a utility knife if they're too big). the tank wont be going anywhere in the meantime. you're lucky you had the skid plate. none of my trucks have one, but then none of them have any rust.

a rubber floor mat would probably also work.

Koda, I was reading some thread here a while back, and a fella was removing his skid plate to save weight, because he did not go off-road and it served no other purpose...glad I have one, that's all that's holding it in!

Got it fixed up, took about ten minutes with air, 14mm socket. Full tank was a non-issue...I slipped a thin tie down strap between the skid plate and tank, from behind hooked onto a body rail above...very convenient holes for the strap hooks. Cinch down, drop the plate, replace strap, adjusting tank height with floor jack padded with plywood. Re-install plate, and find missing 8mm combo wrench? Th wrench I misplaced some time back, THAT was the rattle i heard, alerting me too the real problem. Serendipity, baby.

congrats!

Thanks Koda. And for anyone else who wants to replace the strap, save the plastic liner from your old one, and snap it back onto the replacement, which does not come with the liner.

Back