Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer!

I'm almost completely sold on the idea now of moving both the chrome sport lettering, and the black/chrome ecoboost emblem, from the white area, up into the black strip, then the black/chrome of those emblems on the black strip will tie in with the theme of the black/chrome of the ford emblem.

Did you ever move them up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally did my front!!!!

I just ordered a set of the blackout covers from tomstubes(seller) on ebay. I ordered the 9" covers for both front and back. Did I order right size?
How did u adhere covers(3m tape, liquid nails, etc.)?

This mod will help complete my blackout look once my '14 Ex Sport tuxedo black arrives

I don't have my '14 to measure, i believe the back is 7" but I am in need of the front badge size
Thanks

I don't have my '14 to measure, i believe the back is 7" but I am in need of the front badge size
Thanks
Unless they changed the size on just the 2014 model, the front is 9".

Peter

Did you ever move them up?

Nope, need to order new emblems to move them, and havent' done it yet but I really want to.

As for the overlay emblems, the front was 3M tape, as was the rear. Liquid nails is brown colored for a reason, it's meant for wood, not plastic and metal.

Hey everyone,

New hear as you can see and I have a dumb question.

Is the emblem size for the Explorer as follows:

9inch - Front Grill
7inch - Back/Liftgate
Yes correct

Just ordered a set we will see what shows... Seller was helpful....

Great thread!

I have a 14 sport in black, I attempted to remove the front grille section and let me tell you it is not easy. I'm very handy person and it was a battle, I wasn't successful so I opted to put everything back. I will attempt it again very soon, my question is these sellers on eBay claim that they are "stick on" how is the OEM emblem held on? It looks to be it has some sort of clip.

Great thread!

I have a 14 sport in black, I attempted to remove the front grille section and let me tell you it is not easy. I'm very handy person and it was a battle, I wasn't successful so I opted to put everything back. I will attempt it again very soon, my question is these sellers on eBay claim that they are "stick on" how is the OEM emblem held on? It looks to be it has some sort of clip.

I had no issue removing my front emblem, Remove the two screws and use a plastic putty knife or the like to pry the front emblem off, mine popped right off. The rear is double sided taped on, I use the same method and it came off. had both off in 15 min....

I gotta say I'm very impressed with the quality of the overlays and so far they've been on for two months no problems.

I can't see a reason to do a full emblem replacement.

5 minute installation on the overlays with some black vinyl strips looks really good.

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o416/LIRican/null_zps33d61e7c.jpg

Next up changing lugs on my 22's on Monday.

I gotta say I'm very impressed with the quality of the overlays and so far they've been on for two months no problems.

I can't see a reason to do a full emblem replacement.

5 minute installation on the overlays with some black vinyl strips looks really good.

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o416/LIRican/null_zps33d61e7c.jpg

Wow, the overlays look great! Where did you purchase them from? I might just do that instead. I'm finding it difficult to remove the grille section.

Next up changing lugs on my 22's on Monday.

I had no issue removing my front emblem, Remove the two screws and use a plastic putty knife or the like to pry the front emblem off, mine popped right off. The rear is double sided taped on, I use the same method and it came off. had both off in 15 min....

Did you have to remove the grille section like the OP did? Or we're you able to leave it on and get your hands behind it and pop it off? I was able to remove those 2 nuts and the torxs screw, should the emblem just pop off after they have been removed? Regarding the back emblem, its just double sided tape no screws holding it on? Maybe I'll use my heat gun and try popping it off with a puddy knife.

Did you have to remove the grille section like the OP did? Or we're you able to leave it on and get your hands behind it and pop it off? I was able to remove those 2 nuts and the torxs screw, should the emblem just pop off after they have been removed? Regarding the back emblem, its just double sided tape no screws holding it on? Maybe I'll use my heat gun and try popping it off with a puddy knife.

On the front, I removed the two screws from behind and using a plastic pry tool, pryed the front emblem on both sides and it popped right off.

The rear emblem is doublesided tape only, no bolts. I used the same plastic pry tool and gently went around the entire emblem prying until it popped off.

I have a '14, not sure if the '13's were different on how the emblems were put on.

On the front, I removed the two screws from behind and using a plastic pry tool, pryed the front emblem on both sides and it popped right off.

The rear emblem is doublesided tape only, no bolts. I used the same plastic pry tool and gently went around the entire emblem prying until it popped off.

I have a '14, not sure if the '13's were different on how the emblems were put on.

Thanks buddy!

Ok one last question, you mentioned removing the screws on the front emblem, mine has 1 torx screw and 2 nuts. I also have the 2014 sport, are you talking about those 2 black plastic threds that the nuts thread into?

Stator,

I purchased them from eBay. I can do a search to see if the seller still has them.

I believe it was tomstubes or something like that.

Sending him a message now. A friend just got his new Edge sport and would like the overlays also.

I can post back once I hear more.

Thanks buddy!

Ok one last question, you mentioned removing the screws on the front emblem, mine has 1 torx screw and 2 nuts. I also have the 2014 sport, are you talking about those 2 black plastic threds that the nuts thread into?

I don't believe that Torx is attached to the emblem, it holds the grill section on. There are only two plastic threads with cheap metal nuts that hold it on. I just had a buddy stop by with his 2014 Sport and we did his, came off exactly like mine did. Don't be scared to use some force when prying off the emblem, it takes some good amount of force, just work around the outer edge prying evenly. The nuts are 10mm.

I don't believe that Torx is attached to the emblem, it holds the grill section on. There are only two plastic threads with cheap metal nuts that hold it on. I just had a buddy stop by with his 2014 Sport and we did his, came off exactly like mine did. Don't be scared to use some force when prying off the emblem, it takes some good amount of force, just work around the outer edge prying evenly. The nuts are 10mm.

Awesome! That's exactly what I was talking about, thanks again my freind very much appreciated.

Stator,

I purchased them from eBay. I can do a search to see if the seller still has them.

I believe it was tomstubes or something like that.

Sending him a message now. A friend just got his new Edge sport and would like the overlays also.

I can post back once I hear more.

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey 285ferrari,

For the rear emblem where did you purchase yours? I was able to get the front installed today and it looks bad ass! I have been searching for the rear 7" but all I can find it the overlays, I want a complete emblem that doesn't show the chrome if you know what I mean.

Back