Full Electric Ford Explorer coming in 2023 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full Electric Ford Explorer coming in 2023

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH

"According to this new report, the all-electric Explorer will launch in 2023 and will be built at the Ford Cuautitlan Assembly Plant in Mexico, alongside the Mach-E. ICE-powered Explorer models will continue to be built at the Ford Chicago Assembly Plant, however.

Farley has talked at length in recent months about his desire to electrify Ford’s most iconic nameplates, including the Ford Bronco. The Explorer is one of the automaker’s longest-running, most successful models, so an Explorer EV makes perfect sense, particularly when Ford is eyeing an all-electric transition in both Europe and North America in the coming years."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's just a question of time until the internal combustion engine will be phased out due to emissions regulations.

I'm so glad I'm almost 60.

I'm 38 and will inherit my dad's collection of old cars one day. I have often wondered when the old stuff might be made "illegal", either by insurance costs or having to be made to accept modern safety equipment and emissions standards. How will a model A fare on an autonomous road grid? For now they have been grandfathered, but who's to say that will always be the case? Laws change, just ask guys with antique steam tractors, or wooden hulled steamboats. I never thought I would see gas powered cars be banned, much less lawn mowers..

I read that about the lawn equipment last week. I'm starting to see a lot of interest in old car EV conversions. I read about a model T, EV conversion. It kinda yanks the very soul right out of the car. A 'T' just isn't one without the noise, shaking and smoke they create while in operation. (It's almost a car!) In Sweden a couple of guys built a 66 Impala convertible into an EV using Tesla parts. It was very well done and looked very close to an original car, but just wasn't the same without the roar from it's originally installed 327 V8. But, one has to admit that 0-60 in 3 seconds is pretty cool though..

I dunno, things are changing fast. We (humans) are moving into a different age I think. It's happening faster than ever before and only time will tell if it works out or not. For now, l like my gasoline engines. They're fun, but I am considering an electric car in a couple years to replace my daily and my JP project will more than likely be an EV when completed because that's what the story called for!

It's a good thing that you don't live in California. Everything running on gasoline will be phased out before any other state. California is banning gas-powered leaf blowers, lawn mowers, and weed trimmers — and offering rebates for switching to zero-emission tools
Considering the year round growing season there, and the fact electric gardening tools are vastly more expensive, and much less powerful, we'll see how that 30 million set aside for the conversion works out...and the cost increase to those who hire gardeners...

Electric cordless tools including gardening tools have improved greatly over the past few years with brushless motors, high voltage,and high current batteries. A lot of pneumatic equipment is already replaced with cordless equipment. Take cordless nailers for example. Roofers, and carpenters use pneumatic nailers. They have to haul a compressor with an air tank, long hose, and the nailer tool. Now you could buy nailers which run on 18 volt battery packs which do the same thing so there's no need for large, heavy equipment.

Some gardening equipment is powered by 80V, 12A brushless motors using lithium ion batteries which perform pretty close to their plug in 110V AC electric counter parts. I think that by the time these laws will be in effect to ban gas powered equipment, their cordless electric counter parts will match or even out perform them.

Some brands of gasoline powered generators are already set up as a hybrid to run on natural gas or propane if gasoline isn't available.

Electric cordless tools including gardening tools have improved greatly over the past few years with brushless motors, high voltage,and high current batteries. A lot of pneumatic equipment is already replaced with cordless equipment. Take cordless nailers for example. Roofers, and carpenters use pneumatic nailers. They have to haul a compressor with an air tank, long hose, and the nailer tool. Now you could buy nailers which run on 18 volt battery packs which do the same thing so there's no need for large, heavy equipment.

Some gardening equipment is powered by 80V, 12A brushless motors using lithium ion batteries which perform pretty close to their plug in 110V AC electric counter parts. I think that by the time these laws will be in effect to ban gas powered equipment, their cordless electric counter parts will match or even out perform them.

Some brands of gasoline powered generators are already set up as a hybrid to run on natural gas or propane if gasoline isn't available.
The technology is changing so rapidly. I agree, eventually it will out perform. I know this from my line of work.

We have been putting electric forklifts in traditional diesel accounts for several years now. Complete with full cabs, heat/AC, and other features common to IC machines. Our market in this area was 60 percent electric in the 90s. Today it's closer to 75. The transition has been happening for years. The batteries, and more importantly; their charging, has been the limiting factor.

I can say that industrial battery technology is probably the most different from what it was when I started in the material handling industry. The last big thing was the introduction of 3 phase AC drive motors utilizing the DC battery for power. First one I saw was a CAT in 2006. It was a game changer!! The inverter system is so much simpler and efficient, not to mention the performance from the old DC series wound and sepEx drive motors.

Hopefully the people who engineered their sync system do all the controls.

How will a model A fare on an autonomous road grid? For now they have been grandfathered, but who's to say that will always be the case? Laws change, just ask guys with antique steam tractors, or wooden hulled steamboats. I never thought I would see gas powered cars be banned, much less lawn mowers..

This has been discussed in the industry and so far many believe classic cars will be able to co-exist with a computerized future by placing transponders in the classic car which would alert other vehicles to it's location, speed, etc.

This has been discussed in the industry and so far many believe classic cars will be able to co-exist with a computerized future by placing transponders in the classic car which would alert other vehicles to it's location, speed, etc.
I sure hope its that easy. I think im more nervous about people's attitude more than the actual integration. People already get pissy about a smokey, slow old car. But i guess there will always be haters.

It's just a question of time until the internal combustion engine will be phased out due to emissions regulations.
Go wash your mouth out with soap!!

Electric cars have no soul.

I wish there was a hydrogen fuel source option for the new cars being made. It's cleaner than gasoline and those that like the sound of the engine would be satisfied.

I wish there was a hydrogen fuel source option for the new cars being made. It's cleaner than gasoline and those that like the sound of the engine would be satisfied.
yes- a fuel cell car. Heard that hydrogen was expensive to make. Still wondering if they will do anything with biodiesel.

yes- a fuel cell car. Heard that hydrogen was expensive to make. Still wondering if they will do anything with biodiesel.
I had a biodiesel customer when I was a field service tech. It’s not a viable option. Without being subsidized it’s a money loser.

If your talking cooking oils, I'd say the newer injection systems just can't take this type of fuel over the long term. You would have to make sure its super clean and put detergent, anti-gel, and lube additives in it to use it long term. I'd think there would be a lot of issues using this fuel in newer, less tolerant injection systems. Now a 7.3 IDI, or an old 12 valve on the other hand, there wouldn't probably be too many issues in the warm climates, but you'd still need to run sulphur additives for pump lubrication.

@ mbrooks, Did they have a road truck fleet or off highway equipment? Was the money issues repair related because of the fuels? I never had any customers running bio diesel. They always used AG fuel.

If your talking cooking oils, I'd say the newer injection systems just can't take this type of fuel over the long term. You would have to make sure its super clean and put detergent, anti-gel, and lube additives in it to use it long term. I'd think there would be a lot of issues using this fuel in newer, less tolerant injection systems. Now a 7.3 IDI, or an old 12 valve on the other hand, there wouldn't probably be too many issues in the warm climates, but you'd still need to run sulphur additives for pump lubrication.

@ mbrooks, Did they have a road truck fleet or off highway equipment? Was the money issues repair related because of the fuels? I never had any customers running bio diesel. They always used AG fuel.
They manufactured biodiesel. It wasn’t economical to make, and no one would make it without the mandatory subsidies.

Ah, i see. I thought you were a fleet mechanic and then customer was the trucking company or something.

I had a biodiesel customer when I was a field service tech. It’s not a viable option. Without being subsidized it’s a money loser.
Same as E85 fuel, not a viable option unless subsidized. It uses more fuel to transport the corn to a refinery than the corn produces. Only way is to grow crops like sugarcane like Brazil has been doing for decades, and have the refinery next to the crops. My Silverado is a "FlexFuel" vehicle so I use the E85 just because its usually $2 less a gallon. Lately, I am using it about every other fill up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same as E85 fuel, not a viable option unless subsidized. It uses more fuel to transport the corn to a refinery than the corn produces. Only way is to grow crops like sugarcane like Brazil has been doing for decades, and have the refinery next to the crops. My Silverado is a "FlexFuel" vehicle so I use the E85 just because its usually $2 less a gallon. Lately, I am using it about every other fill up.
Absolutely. Sounds good on paper, looks dismal on the spreadsheets.

Back