Full time Front Locker - Good or Bad? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full time Front Locker - Good or Bad?

JamminG4Jim

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Near St. Paul, MN.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
In the May 2002 issue of FOUR WHEELER magazine there is an article about lockers.

The article says that full time (Non-switchable) front lockers can cause turning difficulties and cause extreme stress on parts....

Has anyone here with a full time front locker experienced problems like this? Should I wait for some sort of switchable locker for my front diff?

Please advise!!!!

Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i thought you could get a ARB for your year already? maybe i'm mistaken..

JamminG4Jim

There are alot of us here running full time front lockers.
I for one run a Quick Lok which is the same as an EZ locker.
Steering is not a major factor but it could make things interesting while driving in snow.
Any locker even a part time locker will add stress to the front axel and hub assemblies. Under normal conditions this is not a major problem. Biggest problem is when you start running 35 inch tires and they decide to get extra bite like in rock climbing. Ask Fakrwee, he's been busting axels with his 35's but I believe he's been running an ARB.
Get whatever you can afford and feel confortable with.

I installed the Detroit EZ Locker in my front axle. I love it. I have yet to drive in snow. But what I was thinking was, if it snows just leave on hub unlocked. That would give you the ease of stearing back if you have a problem. I have used it on the trail climbing hills and such, and very impressed so far. I have a Auburn Limited slip to put in the rear axle. I think the limited slip will give a way better every day driving manners. And plus it locks up like a locker usually.

Eric

As already stated, it will affect the steering, but there are ways to overcome that. First, when you are driving on pavement, leave the hubs unlocked. Without the hubs locked it doesen't matter if you have a locker in the front. When you hit the trail the only down fall you'll soon notice is lack of turning radius. This is easily overcome by either antisipating the turn and attacking it on a different line, or unlocking one of the front hubs, allowing the alxe to spin freely and not try to strighten the front wheels.

I myself had a Detriot EZ locker in the front first. I hated it!!! The trails around here are too tight and curvy for having that much steering problems. And I went through alot of axle shafts with it. I now have a ARB up front and love it to death. I only use it if I have to.

I still have auto-hubs on my '91. Could I install a front locker without it affecting the dry-pavement handling of my truck?

Basically what I'm asking is when auto-hubs are not engaged, do they function as if they are completely unlocked?

Are auto-hubs too weak to handle any kind of traction aiding device anyway?

does anyone know?

Bryce,
Yes, when the auto hubs are dis-engaged the front axel is unlocked. The front locker would have no effect when 4 wheel drive is turned off.
A note: the auto hubs are too weak to handle a locker, it is recommended to switch to manual hubs when you install a locker.

Back