• Register Today It's free!

full-time transfer case swap?

SVO42

Reaction score
City, State
RV Nomad
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XL
I probably won't be doing anything anytime soon about this, but I'd like some info if anyone has it. I searched already and couldn't find everything I wanted to know. Anyway, what spline count is the output shaft of the M5OD-R1? What other full-time transfer cases will accept that? I'm not interested in a Control-Trac case since they have a computer-controlled clutch in a part-time case. I'm talking about something like a NV 242 or NP 229.

I also can't find who makes an adapter to fit a T-5 behind a 4.0L. With a T-5, it's possible to use a NP 229 as long as you have the right spline count output shaft. T-5s were used in some early/mid '80s Jeeps.

While I like my manual BW 1354, sometimes with the snow here I miss having a full-time case. I used to have a '87 Grand Wagoneer with a NP 229. I'm just interested in the possibilities here. Thanks in advance.

Not many possibilities for you.

the WCT-5 behind the OHV 4.0L has not been done in a long tmie the adapter is no longer made by Advance adapters. You would also have to use a hydraulic slave cylinder adapter thingy (forget what they are called) to work with the T5.

the OHV 4.0L is a 60 degree V6, the bell housing bolt pattern is quite unique to this family of engines and your options are limited.
The BW1354 T case is a good unit.

Another option would be to buy an Atlas case

Some people have made adapters, then the sky is the limit.

Back