Full Width Dana 44 build up and swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Full Width Dana 44 build up and swap

Welllll, since I've got almost everything ready to go, I figured I'd start a thread about the build up/swap...

First things first:
1978 Ford Bronco Dana 44
stock radius arms...will probably heim joint them
Master overhaul kit (broncograveyard)
Yukon gear 5.13 R&P (broncograveyard)
7* C bushing kit (broncograveyard)

32009936-M.jpg

(yes, it's it's backwards and upside down)

32009937-M.jpg

32009934-M.jpg

That's it for now... I'm gonna get that axle cleaned up real nice, paint it, then start the project
:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think it's time to clean out the garage!!! lol

I'm using a 79 axle in mine (currenlty in parts haha). looks like we're going to have about the same setup. Just wondering if your master install kit came with the gears or if you had to buy it seperate. Keep us updated :D

Looking good so far!! Looks similar to my set up except for 4.88 gears. What size tires and lockers you planning on running? You got a pair of set up bearings for your gears and carrier? I thought the master install kit came with them but didn't. No problem though,.. I just ran to a local bearing shop and purchased a pair!

Can't wait to see the finished project. When you planning on finishing it anyways?

daddy- yeah, that's what I did most of the day today.

CP- no, the gears came seperate

ohe- 35's for now, as my bfg's are still in pretty good shape. 36-37 later. I have no idea what I'm going to do about traction in the front... hmmm... setup bearings, I'll have to look, I guess I don't recall seeing those... it'll probably be a wintertime project. so who knows?!?! hopefully soon

For traction up front, I went with electrac mainly for the selectable LS/Full locker since its my daily driver. This should be more than efficient traction. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

For the setup bearings, if you have a bearing puller you could pull those old bearings off the existing carrier and use those as your set up bearings. Just gotta widen the bearings just enough to slip um on and slip um off. Just make sure to keep those passenger/driver shims together so you know where to start. Of course, only if you're changing the carrier. But hey, you should already know this since I just remembered you did like a bunch of gear setups like you posted in my SAS thread. :p

:cool: Same setup as I'll have(obviously the same as CP for a reason. Just look at the quote in his sig. :D). Do you think that the Aussie was good enough in the rear to put one up front too? Or are you going to probably getting a different one?

I was just talking that over with my dad. I will probably jsut put an aussie in the front...

It works great, it's cheap enough to break two and still have it be cheaper than a full Detroit or the like. It's also really easy to put in... so yeah, I think an aussie is in the works.

Never thought of having the aussie in the fornt,... let me know how it turns out! Maybe I could've gone that route instead. Only heard good things of the aussies'. I just thought of having selectables up front. And yah, it'll be a whole lot cheaper then a Detroit.

hmm... then maybe I could get a sponser :p jk

yeah, I'm about 99.9% sure that that's the route I'm going to go. unless someone give me a detroit for free :D
anyone know of an extreme duty grease/grime remover? I coated everything with tons of simple green scrubbed it real good and did that a couple times, but it's just not cutting it. any ideas? I can start to see metal on the radius arms, but the axle is really built up with junk.

Go to a janatorial store and see what you can find. My mom brings home a product called 'Slugger', it's a citrus cleaner that will eat through anything. It got on my moms shoes once and it ate the glue that held the soal on. lol It's some tough stuff.

I'd coat the axle in it and let it sit for a couple hours and then take scrubby pad or wire brush to the axle.

Mickey

if you plan to paint those, I would suggest taking it to a sandblaster. The one near my house charged us $50/hr and only spent 1 hour cleaning up our front and rear axles.

yeah, we have a sandblaster. I had thought about that, but thought that it would just gum up the sand with the grime.
Hopefully by time I get home for Christams break, this thing will be ready to slap in. My dad is gonna rebuild it and when I get home we will put it in.

well, project put on hold at least for a little... finally ready to piece the stang together, then time for axle/explorer
35952634-M.jpg

I would rather have the Electrac L/S / Locker in the front than the lunchbox (Aussie, Detroit etc.) in the front. I had a L/S in the front of my old one and it is much better. The lunchbox you either have it full lock or one locked or open. One locked is a pain to drive in the rocks and dirt due to wanting to pull to the opposite side than the locked wheel. Full lock is cool but not needed all of the time. the L/S / Full lock you will hardly ever need the full lock unless you are in a very serious spot. Right now I have a lunchbox locker in the front of mine and will be changing it as soon as I can afford it. Yes they are a lot more expensive but IMO, very worth the extra money spent.

Sounds like it'll be a good build. Good luck and keep up the pictures as you progress. :thumbsup:

selfish plug here.........

Any of you SAS project guys with HP D44/9" that need parts for completion (including a e-trac), let me know through PM. Right now, I have everything needed for a swap for sale.

[selfish plug off] ;)

so do You have your rear axle ready as well? What's the differance in width between regular Explorer front D35 set-up and full width Dana44? I'm still debating over full width D44 from a Bronco and D30 out of a Jeep for the front.

when you regeared the front did you have to get a larger carier to fit the larger ring... i am looking itnto regearing mine and am not sure about the carrier... thanks

if u have 3.73 and down u will need a different carrier. 3.92 and up u can keep it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dre said:
so do You have your rear axle ready as well? What's the differance in width between regular Explorer front D35 set-up and full width Dana44? I'm still debating over full width D44 from a Bronco and D30 out of a Jeep for the front.
it's about 6" longer overall. I like knowing that I will have that extra protection from the body hitting walls by having the tires out plenty far to portect the body.
about the carrier, I'm not sure yet. I haven't got that far yet.

Back