full width or standard width? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

full width or standard width?

I just purchased a 79 Bronco with the intention of installing the d44 up front. Should I go ahead and swap in the 9" and keep it full width or cut down the front and keep it stock width? I would probably sell the 9" if I did this to recoup some of the cost of the Bronco. The pros of the full width as I see it as better stability and effectively lower center of gravity. the cons would be less manueverability, increased turning radius, and the inability to fit on some of the tighter trails. It would porbably be cheaper to run the full width, unless I have to move the radius arm mounts and spring perches inward. Track bar would probably have to be modified in either situation. It might look funny with the wheels sticking out so far, and it would probably require more fender trimming than standard width axles. anything else I am missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I think you kinda answered your own question..

1) full size axles mean also getting fender flares/replacement fenders. Most police would stop you in heart beat for no mud flaps/flares. If your truck is a 2dr, good luck finding rear flares.

2) full size also means building outboard radius arm brackets.

3) cutting down the d44 isn't difficult or expensive todo (just time consuming). You could always sell the 9".

4) In some ways, the 8.8" rear end is almost as strong as a 9" rear end. The 9" has some advantages - but it could be costly to use them. (the 8.8" rear can be easily converted to 5x5.5 pattern, for about $250 plus drilling of your old drums)

You have to decide - is there a trail you want to run that's narrow? If yes, then it's a cut down. If no, then do you want tickets for no flares/mud flaps? If no, cut down wins.

Of course, oknut will vote for full size. :)

I'd cut the 44 and keep the 9" as a spare. That way you can cut it and use it if necessary.

Congrats on your purchase!
Hate to see another great off road truck torn apart but it will make one heck of an off-road Explorer for you. About your ?'s go ahead and cut the D44 plus you'll want to keep the radius arms UNDER the frame with your brackets. The set up will be stronger this way too. Plus you can sell the 9" to help recover your costs. I do like the stability of my Bronco much better than our Explorer, so if you can make the full size axles work it would be better in my opinion. But I do not think it may be worth all the hassle. Also the 8.8 is fine, the later model full size Broncos also use the 8.8 as well. Good luck on your project!

Originally posted by Steve A
Congrats on your purchase!
Hate to see another great off road truck torn apart but it will make one heck of an off-road Explorer for you.

Well, the Bronco's body isn't in the best shape, or I would hate to tear it down myself. The drivetrain is good, so it deserves a new home ;)

i-1_B.JPG

Right on, about your Bronco and Explorer!
When you get a chance, check out where the radius arms mount on the Bronco and you'll see where the brackets are supported under the frame. I don't know if you could mount them outside of the Explorer frame safely especially since those radius arms are thicker than our X frames. Hehehe...
Good luck & keep us posted.

Hey mudd,

cut the dana 44 down and run it standard width. The 8.8 is plenty strong.

Hey, wasn't that bronco on ebay a while back?

Just put the X body on the bronco. No but really i would cut the 44 and and just keep the 9" for a spare and put it on the market from a high price. IF someone wants to pay alot for it sell it, and other wise keep it.

But to tell you the truth i would keep the bronco , and put an aftermarket FiberGlass body on it, if the drivetrain is good. Then buy a 44 from someone. But i know you want to put the 44 on the X, so good luck what ever you do. later

I'm sure it's a helluva lot more work, but nothing is cooler than running full-size axles on a smaller rig.

How about getting a set of D60s for the rig ?

There is a guy near me who is working on a Ranger. 60's front and rear, 302, etc with 38" swampers to go on.

Back