FullFootNotch's SAS on 38s

FullFootNotch's SAS on 38s
1992 explorer sport 4.0 5spd

Engine mods
-K&N flat filter
-Flowmaster Single Exhuast
-Gutted Cat
-Ceramic Clutch
4dr Auto tranny metal radiator, for betting cooling and to get metal endtanks, and same size and everything for the manual even though its an auto tranny rad, so built in cooler for anything in the future

Exterior mods
-Custom fade clearcoat- fades from clearcoat to no clearcoat in a few inches
-Factory manual sunroof
-Cheap black front push bar
-Smittybuilt nerf bars
-Smittybuilt Tube rear bumper w/ 2 inch receiver
-Passion purple tint-patent pending of course
-Flat black rustoleum on rear pillars

Suspension
-NO B/L
-SAS’d front
-Dana 30 front, stock gears
-Pro comp 4 inch 73-87 front chevy leaf spring, gotta goto an 8" spring to even out front with rear, slight rub right now on full lock
-Custom front hangers, 4x4 tubing ¼ thick, 2 inch reciever built in for work platform and to move trailers around
-Ranger 7.5 axle (installed cause it had 4.10 gears) temporary, going to install 8.8 or Chrysler 9 ¾ soon
-Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip 38.5x15.50x15 on 15x10 rockcrawler rims 5x4.5 bolt pattern
-3 inch lift blocks with custom ranger spring packs, factory hardware on back, no aftermarket shackles

truck is not completely done, previous owner(who works for a large 4wd company-retail outlet) did not set driveline angle correctly, so I gotta shim the pinion or rotate the perches, gotta build traction bars ,and redo steering and shock mounts in the front due to the shop that installed it, wanting to goto 44 boggers, but gotta upgrade axles first, also gotta do drop pitman arm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn. That is mass-assive. Looks like you've got a good project and some nice work ahead. Good luck with it. Also, instead of going w/ a bigger spring in the front to run the 38's, it would probably be a good idea to just bring the back down a bit and run a smaller tire, say a 36 or 35, especially if you're only running 4.10's. That thing is really tall as it is.

Great start! Here's a solution for your steering: M.O.R.E. makes a steering correction kit for the D30 and is awesome! That's the best mod I did other then the SAS. Here's some pics of mine:

Attachments

• steering level on ground.JPG
    steering level on ground.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 2,636
  • Steering, finished and painted.JPG
    Steering, finished and painted.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,725
  • M.O.R.E. steering.JPG
    M.O.R.E. steering.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,686

j602 said:
Also, instead of going w/ a bigger spring in the front to run the 38's, it would probably be a good idea to just bring the back down a bit and run a smaller tire, say a 36 or 35, especially if you're only running 4.10's. That thing is really tall as it is.

That would require running 2 different gear ratios. You can't run a 35in rear and 38in front tire with the same gear ratios. That would be carnage.

RFR2212 said:
That would require running 2 different gear ratios. You can't run a 35in rear and 38in front tire with the same gear ratios. That would be carnage.

think he meant lower the rear to level it out, and run just a 35 or 36 all around, not 38s front and 35/36s rear.....

NOTAJP has the right idea...

And I happen to have a full kit with only 500 miles on it for sale :)

XplorerKid said:
think he meant lower the rear to level it out, and run just a 35 or 36 all around, not 38s front and 35/36s rear.....

Thanks Kid, that's exactly what I meant. ;)

truck looks good man. I myself would go the route of the M.O.R.E Hi Steer Setup. I purchased it and am loving it. You should purchase the one that trckmagick has. My truck sits similar to yours. I'm need to bump up to probably a 3-4" waggy spring.

heh, trckmagik, i know what your exactly talking about ;)

i almost had a crossover knuckle for it from the previous owner who was gonna do a crossover, knuckle installed and everything, till it was time to mount the caliper, and the caliper hit the 2 legs on the new knuckle, and the spacing of the mounting holes for the crossover knuckle was spaced a little closer than the caliper that was currently on there

oh, and i will be runnin 38s come hell or high water, but what i really want is 44s

full foot notch said:
oh, and i will be runnin 38s come hell or high water, but what i really want is 44s

How hard you plannin on wheelin this?

Nice truck, that thing is huge. Nice job so far :thumbsup:

Holy cow, i just noticed your in Orlando, i was just there tuesday, i live over in Winter Haven.

I say you need to beef those axles up to say Dana 60s ATLEAST if ya wanna run 44"s, i tihnk right now you need atleast a Dana 44.....

Maybe one day ill come to Orland to check it out though

Winter haven, is that next to ocoee(or is that winter garden, or is it the oveido area, that winter haven is in

full foot notch said:
Winter haven, is that next to ocoee(or is that winter garden, or is it the oveido area, that winter haven is in

Hop on I4 east, goto the Baseball City/Haines City Exit, head south on 27 for a few miles. Heard of Cypress Gardens? im Right down the road from it, prolly an hour from orlando, depending what area in orlando....

ah, haines city, way outta my way unless im going to tampa for fun

hey yall, a little teaser, just picked up 12 inch leafs and still shoppin around for either a D60 or Rockwell, and maybe if im bored ill throw in a diesel somewhere in there ;)

little teaser update, F&R fullsize blazer axles 3/4 ton running gear, divorced T case behind a manual 1354(coming soon) 12 inch front springs, 10 inch rear springs, Xplorerkids old tube bumper up front, 3 inch BL, installed security system and as of right now till they wear out 39.5 boggers since i sold my PJs to xplorer kid

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DAMN!!!! :eek: Good to hear that Xkid finally sold his bumper! ;)

Back