• Register Today It's free!

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve

naiku

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
Does anyone use a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve? specifically on the 4.6L V8? I am considering picking one up but wanted to hear if anyone had used one on the V8 before ordering. Specifically, if I would need the extension or if the valve will bolt straight up to the oil pan.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never understood the need for these $25 valves that are slow draining, and increased chance of snagging or breaking off.

If under there doing a complete oil change and replacing the filter anyway, what's the benefit? LOL

I would think the chance of it getting snagged on anything is minimal at best, especially during everyday driving. As for paying the extra (especially as $25 buys a lot of drain plug o-rings). For me, I like the idea of being able to attach the hose to the valve and drain it directly into a container that I can take to the dump. Currently, I drain it into a pan, then have to pour that into an empty milk carton or something similar. Depending on how slowly the Fumoto drains, it will be cleaner and save me time.

I installed one like that on our '89 Mustang. Was handy for oil changes but I always had to flush the lever slot (with WD40) before I could move the lever. It seemed to get grit in it making it difficult to move the lever.

I have a Fumoto in my boat (350 chevy) which makes it very handy. And then I saw the mechanics at the marina use a pump, they suck the old oil out thru the dipstick tube into a contraption like this. http://www.liquivac.com/

Oh, and the marina somehow still fetches $139 for an oil change.

Back