• Register Today It's free!

Fun with Sport Trac dash cluster

stylin99

Reaction score
City, State
Gastonia, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 5.0 Coyote Adrenalin
There is a "Dealer Test Mode" that you can perform to get your message center on the dash to display all kinds of cool digital output such as vehicle speed, tach, coolant temp, manufacture date of the instrument cluster, and gobs more information.

Hold Down your RESET button on the message center, as you put the key in and turn it to ON (without starting truck). Keep holding button for about 4 seconds. let off. Press the Reset button again (sometimes twice) to get the Engineering test mode to show up. Keep pressing Reset to go through all the displays.

You can start the truck during this mode to get an accurate reading on the tach, vehicle speed, fuel levels, or anything else, all in digital format instead of an idiot gauge.

Here's the details from the Workshop Manual...
DTM1.jpg

DTM2.jpg

telltaletest.jpg

TachDigital.jpg

coolanttemp.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, thanks. Definitely going to try that out.

does anyone know how to remove the throttle restrictor on a 4.6 v8?

does anyone know how to remove the throttle restrictor on a 4.6 v8?
Not so much a throttle restrictor as a speed limiter.
We are limited to 125 mph at any rpm.

Very good info to know. In certain situations I would much rather have digital coolant readout then a gauge and also have access to real time voltage, especially when I suspect a battery problem is rearing its head.

Thanks, I just tried it. The coolant apparently only reads in Centigrade though, unless there is a way to change it.

Any way I can buy a shop manual or if you could get me one.

I'm going to give it a try also. Cool stuff

The last time I changed my oil and reset the OLM, somehow I accidentally got it to display the percentage of oil life left. I don't know what I did and couldn't get it to do it again. My dad's Cadillac shows the percentage left all the time.

I heard there was a similar "hidden menu" in the radio when you press and hold certain buttons. Can anyone confirm this?

Great info! Just did this on my 4th Gen. Finally found out her birthday! Oct, 30th, one day before Halloween! Only problem is when I start my truck I loose the display and get takin' back to the idiot display. I'll play with it some more.

Great info! Just did this on my 4th Gen. Finally found out her birthday! Oct, 30th, one day before Halloween! Only problem is when I start my truck I loose the display and get takin' back to the idiot display. I'll play with it some more.

Ok I give up... How do you guys start your trucks without loosing the display?

You should be doing this while you are starting the truck... So it stays up...

I tried that like 50 times... Can you do it with your's?

I got this to work while engine was running. Its funny how the speedo is off ever so slightly.

I just did the steps above, but instead of turning the ignition to on, i started the engine.

Yea thats what i did. I don't know why its not working...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found this and was wondering if I were to perform this test would it allow me to turn on the compass? My 2010 XLT doesn't currently display the compass.

THanks

Back