Funky hesitation 1000 rpms or lower | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Funky hesitation 1000 rpms or lower

Pandemonium

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 4.0 SOCH
So my 98 explorer has 138k miles on it. And we just got this one. This explorer is not my first my last one was identical. Anyways when we got her I was told all she needs was a battery and spark plugs. Rofl she also needed an alternator fuel pump transmission solenoids and a bunch of piddly stuff. One thing we can't figure out is she hesitates below 1k rpms and couldn't get out of her own way if you floor it. After 1k she runs amazing and the engine sounds good. The codes say the bank 2 sensor 2 is bad however the only issue I'm having is the initial hesitation and when stopped in drive she has a hop to her idle. Any thoughts? Because I really feel the code is caused by Something else. Thanks in advance

Morning... Check for vacuum leaks by listening for a wooshing sound at idle. If that checks out, you might want to remove the MAF and use MAF cleaner on it. I had the same issue on my '94, but after I cleaned it the hesitation was gone. The error you mention sounds like the O2 sensor, which could also be wreaking a bit of havoc on your mixture too.

If you want some more pep, check out the accelerator cable mod to take up the slack in the pedal. Makes a big difference and you'll get a real WOT.

Updated info

Thank you for your response. Last night when I posted I was on my Ipod while my hubby was changing the transmission gasket. We found one vacuum leak and that was fixed last night. When we took her out for another test drive last night the transmission refused to go into first gear and we barely made it past the neighbors house. She does reverse fine and manually she is amazing but the transmission is not a manual transmission.One she heats up and the training fluid gets warm she has no problem shifting. Today we took her to get her scanned and the guy who did it was a lot more intelligent than the last guy. Here are the current codes:
P1747-ECC solenoid
P0743-TCC solenoid
P0750-Shift solenoid A
P0760-Shift solenoid B
P0765-Shift solenoid C
Didn't write it down-It whas Shift solenoid D though
Plus O2 sensor bank 1, sensor 2 and bank 2, sensor 2

That is the short and long of it, the guy who scanned her said if all the transmission solenoids are showing bad there is more than likley a wiring issue because this is the second set of solenoids we put in.

Also a little more info on the current explorer: She has been sitting for at least a year under a tree. We have gone over most of the wiring searching for things like chewng from mice ants etc. All the parts I used in the current truck are from my old identical truck (which is now gone). My old explorer had the recall plastic guides which shattered and she jumped timing upon turning her off. That was the previouse trucks only issue. I can agree both back O2 sensors are bad on the current truck but I know for a fact the solenoids I put into it are good because the previouse truck shifted like a dream. Also the gentleman who scanned the truck this time said the hesitation could be comming from from her trying to second gear start. When we manually shift her from 1st to second all her power is where it needs to be and there is 0 hesitation. While having the training pan off we checked for metal shavings plastic bits and everything else that could be seen inside the pan and all looks well. Any help, theories, transmission wiring diagrams would be very welcome at this point. I have access to meters scanners and possibly a lift. One more thing once we reach cruising speeds she shifts fine but her RPMs rev a little high. Her tempature is normal, oil pressure normal ,and battery charge is normal.

Thank you Nikki

Back