• Register Today It's free!

Funny handling

GTSDart340

Reaction score
City, State
Laveen, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Hi everyone, I just picked up a 16 Platinum, 3.5 Ecoboost 4wd. It's got some weird things going on. It seems to wander when it hits bumps, but only at freeway speeds, usually 70+. I noticed some wear on the inside edge of the left rear tire. After following behind the car, the rear wheels seem to be angled inward, which would explain the wear on the tire. What would cause both wheels to do that? They seem to be pretty evenly angled. I'm going to get an alignment soon, but everyone around is booked until next weekend. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The alignment is a good place to begin. Then see if it improves the handling. You should also check with the dealer to see if the toe link recalls have been done.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The alignment is a good place to begin. Then see if it improves the handling. You should also check with the dealer to see if the toe link recalls have been done.

Peter
I looked at the NHTSA site and it said there were 0 open recalls on it. That was the first thing I was looking for. I'm actually waiting for the alignment to happen right now so we will see. Thanks for the reply!

alignment will probably solve the uneven wear. i have heard of tires causing some wander particularly in big rigs though, so not sure they exactly apply to these, however. can you elaborate on the wandering? like does it pull? feel less planted, etc?

alignment will probably solve the uneven wear. i have heard of tires causing some wander particularly in big rigs though, so not sure they exactly apply to these, however. can you elaborate on the wandering? like does it pull? feel less planted, etc?
It almost feels like it's floating. I just talked to the service guy, the rear toe is way out! They're fixing it now, hopefully that solves the issue.

... when it hits bumps, but only at freeway speeds, usually 70+...

What would cause both wheels to do that?

Hitting bumps at 70+... ;)

Something threw the alignment off.

Results

PXL_20220923_234934413.jpg

Back