• Register Today It's free!

FUNNY PROBLEM !!!

daniel cauchon

Reaction score
City, State
Terrebonne,Province of Quebec
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer Limited
Ok here is my problem ....when I accelerate I sometimes feel something funny...it`s like if lets say my engine was misfiring os something...but I know it`s not coming from the engine cause the rev is not changing at all when this happens...but it feels like my engine was missing but just by instant misses...other way it runs great , the idle is constant and no prob starting it..I was thinking maybe the trans ?? I don`t know if it`s clear or not.....if I accelerate moderalay it does not do it...but if I push it a bit harder than it happens...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll take a guess

It stumbles when you are in a high gear and start going up a hill and the rpm is under 2K. This most likely an ignition problem with the wires and/or plugs. You may not be aware of this. You are always firing two plugs in series. This means that as the plugs gap widens with age, it takes more voltage. Also it takes more voltage to fire a plug under load conditions. This can put more electrical stress on the wire insulation and cause it to break down. I had this problem even with a plug that only had 4K on it. In my case it was a manifold leak that caused a coating to form on the plug electrode. I too thought it was a transmission slip. If you could read the stored codes you would likely find a "misfire #" .

A total guess... but Coil packs? That would cause mis-firing, but you seem to think it isn't mis-firing.
-----Nate

Yeah well I think it`s not the engine...but I could be mistaken...but your are right you have the right way to describe it..it stumble under load condititon, when I ; m high gear ...but my engine light never came on ?? so I don t have any code to read...???

I haven't ponied up for a scanner yet

But. I believe this would put a code out real time on a monitor. Missfire has to occur several times in a short period to put the light on so you don't have misreads all the time. My light never came on till the car was almost undriveable. I was dissapointed that it didn't come on sooner so Autozone could read it.

I dunno, my dad's stick saturn was lurching under acceleration, sorta felt like the trannie was slipping (cept it was stick), no CEL, and it turned out to be coil packs.
Check your plugs and wires, if they look good, take it to autozone and get your stored codes read, if you have misfires (even if you dont), I would look at the coilpacks.
-----Nate

ok thank`s you guys...I will look into that.

Back