• Register Today It's free!

Funny Story w/ Check Gage Light

gabelossus

Reaction score
City, State
Haddonfield
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4.0L SOHC V6
So I let my brother borrow the '99 XLT for pizza deliveries and explained to him that if the check gage light comes on, you are probably running out of gas. He's out on delivery one night and calls me, "Yo, are you having engine problems? It sounds like it's so close to starting but just won't..." Me freaking out I immediately jump to the conclusion something happened with the timing chain; it is an SOHC with decent mileage after all. After I calm down and regain my senses I ask how much fuel he's got.

"Oh, well I got some not too long ago..."

"Was the check gage light on?"

"Yeah..."

"I think you ran it out of gas, dude."
He then seriously asked, "What?? You can't go past the E at all in this car?"

I suppose it gets the best of us but I can't help but die laughing over this. The truck is doing fine now, but any chance he shortened the life of my fuel pump/filter after trying to start it a bajillion times?

P.S. ordered at that pizza joint one time and I see him whip my '99 around the corner like you wouldn't believe. Cringing for my front end....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I let my brother borrow the '99 XLT for pizza deliveries and explained to him that if the check gage light comes on, you are probably running out of gas. He's out on delivery one night and calls me, "Yo, are you having engine problems? It sounds like it's so close to starting but just won't..." Me freaking out I immediately jump to the conclusion something happened with the timing chain; it is an SOHC with decent mileage after all. After I calm down and regain my senses I ask how much fuel he's got.

"Oh, well I got some not too long ago..."

"Was the check gage light on?"

"Yeah..."

"I think you ran it out of gas, dude."
He then seriously asked, "What?? You can't go past the E at all in this car?"

I suppose it gets the best of us but I can't help but die laughing over this. The truck is doing fine now, but any chance he shortened the life of my fuel pump/filter after trying to start it a bajillion times?

P.S. ordered at that pizza joint one time and I see him whip my '99 around the corner like you wouldn't believe. Cringing for my front end....
HAHA!!! people these days, neevr run em on fumes ;) revoke the X privlages, maybe then they wil treat it better, it dont handle like a car!!:banghead:

Ha! That's for sure. It certainly ain't friendly with ball joints & bushings :rolleyes:
they always keep us on our toes! never a nice time of peace ;) :D

I don’t think you can corner hard enough to hurt your ball joints or bushings. The weak link racing them around is the transmission.

Back