Funny thing at Ford Service Dept. part 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Funny thing at Ford Service Dept. part 2

KEVPOPPAPUMP

Reaction score
City, State
Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ranger XLT 4.0 4x4
Well after 7 days of my truck sitting at the dealer, it was test drove today by the shop foreman since the tech "could not duplicate the problem during a comprehensive 11 mile road test." Well what do you know, the shop foreman replicated the problem and the solution: "we have ordered you another transmission." Lets see now at 54k miles: 4th FQR 4.0, and now 3rd 5R55E Ford Remanufactured trannie. I really wonder just what kind of individuals or even sub-contractors Ford employs to do their engine/trannie rebuilds?
I hate to sound like a "complainer" but I think I have paid my dues owning this truck.
Also, I DO take care of this truck eventhough the problems sound owner related.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

man that sucks, my mom has a 99 ranger that she hardly every drives. She uses it for hauling plants and stuff. But anyway that one needed a new tranny at 22k. The truck only has like 27k on it now. They tried to say it was from not driving it very much. But ya know if she woulda been using it as a daily driver they would have said it was just wear and tear from driveing it so much!!! Guess ya can't really win.

When the clowns put in the new "remanufactured" tranny, then dump the damn thing for another one/different model.

I think after 4 engines, and 3 transmissions, that warrants another vehicle. :eek:

Makes me wonder about Ford remanufactured drive train parts now. I have 3 years left on my warranty, and hope I do not need and engines or transmissions!!

Originally posted by VOATMJ1
When the clowns put in the new "remanufactured" tranny, then dump the damn thing for another one/different model.

I think after 4 engines, and 3 transmissions, that warrants another vehicle. :eek:

Makes me wonder about Ford remanufactured drive train parts now. I have 3 years left on my warranty, and hope I do not need and engines or transmissions!!

I can't afford a new/used truck right now otherwise I would've already done that. Also if I bought another P.O.S. I would be stuck with a truck payment and more headaches. At least this one is paid for and extended warranty till June 03 or 75k. I will definately try to get something else then.

Would this be a FORD sucks issue or FORD DEALER sucks issue??

Originally posted by haktmal
Would this be a FORD sucks issue or FORD DEALER sucks issue??

Not really, just Ford Engine/trannie rebuilders suck!

Originally posted by VOATMJ1
... I have 3 years left on my warranty, and hope I do not need and engines or transmissions!!

Boy, if I felt ANYTHING going wrong within that time I think I would just go out and dump Neutral Drops till the damn thing blew up. LOL

Okay, maybe not as you could tourque the housing and then they would know for sure you f'd with it. Good luck guys. I just turned 84K on my original trans. 4R44E essentially the same as the A4LD.

Well I had to switch rental cars since the Ford Extra Car rental company closed its doors. When the rental agent from Enterprise rent-a-car picked me up she stated that lately they've been renting alot of cars to customers getting replacement transmissions installed on their F-150s. I too have heard alot of problems with the 4R70W. So lets see, the A4LD=crap, 5R55E=crap, and 4R70W=crap. Ford should just give up on designing tranmissions and put Allison trannies in all their trucks!

What happened to the 4.0???

4r70w problems? naw, never unless YOU beat on it. lol

Originally posted by KEVPOPPAPUMP
When the rental agent from Enterprise rent-a-car picked me up
Wow, you mean they actually picked you up, and that is just not a commercial gimmick?

4R70W ..... Problems??? On 1994-1997 There were issues with the 4R70W..... including a need for an upgraded mechanical diode and valve body pressure regulator. I'm sure these 1994-1997 4R70W(AODE's) are all starting to fail bout now. (If there were driven hard)

In comparison, the 4R70W is not as bad as the A4LD. (1998 and later 4R70W's are a lot better)

You should look into your states lemon laws. In PA if something major happens three or more times, something like that; than the manufacturer has to compensate you with a new vehicle or the money for the vehicle. Anyways its something like that.

Wow that is amazing. I read posts like this and wonder how on earth my tranny and engine have lasted 121,000 miles without needing rebuilt/replaced...

I would think that the California Lemon Law would apply to your truck:

The California "Lemon Law"

The California Lemon Law (officially known as the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty act, found in California Civil Code sections 1790 et seq.) is a law designed to protect consumers who purchase or lease warranted motor vehicles. If it is determined that a motor vehicle is a "lemon," the motor vehicle's warrantor must repurchase or replace the motor vehicle from the buyer.

In order to have a valid Lemon Law claim, the following elements must be met:

1.) The vehicle must be used some of the time for personal, family or household purposes. If a vehicle is used exclusively for business purposes, the Lemon Law will not apply, but other laws may provide certain remedies.

2.) The vehicle must have problems covered by a warranty. There is a simple rule: no warranty means no Lemon Law case.

3.) The warrantor must be unable to repair the vehicle's warranty problems after a reasonable number or repair attempts. What constitutes a reasonable number of repair attempts will vary depending on the problem. For example, if a vehicle's brakes fail, one repair attempt may be enough to establish a reasonable number. Generally, safety-related or driveability concerns will require fewer repair attempts than those which are not safety-related or affect driveability.

Also relevant to determining whether there has been a reasonable number of repair attempts is the number of days the vehicle is out-of-service due to warranty repairs. The more days out-of-service, the better the chance of establishing a reasonable number of repair attempts.

There is a common misconception concerning the Lemon Law, that it only applies to vehicles that are less than 18 months old or have less than 18,000 miles. This belief is not true! The Lemon Law will apply to a vehicle regardless of how old it is or how many miles is has, so long as the vehicle is having problems that are under warranty.

Even if the warranty has expired, the Lemon Law may apply. If the vehicle is still having problems that were complained about and never properly repaired during the warranty period, a valid Lemon Law claim may exist.

4.) The vehicle must contain a problem covered by the warranty that substantially impairs the vehicle's use, value or safety to the buyer/lessee. The Lemon Law, generally, will not apply to vehicles with trivial or minor defects. Nevertheless, each case must be judged independently taking into account the particular needs and expectations of the particular vehicle's owner/lessee.

If the above mentioned elements are met, the vehicle is a lemon. The vehicle's owner/lessee will be entitled to a replacement vehicle or a refund of the vehicle's purchase/lease price.

huh huh, automatics, he he. Man, glad I don't have to bother with that stuff. If I did, I probally wouldn't still own an Explorer. Ya'll need to start doing some 5 speed manual conversions.

I did look into the lemon law previously and I just went to a California Lemon Law lawyer site and pretty much I don't qualify.

Oh no way!!! A 4 yr old vehicle having an engine replaced a year and 3 tranny's.

Dude you got a lemon!!! It must have been built the day after New Years Eve!!!

In the last 4 yrs about how many days has it been at the shop or undriveable??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The lemon laws in Arizona & Ohio require that your vehicle be out of service for the same thing three times within the first 12 months of ownership. If California is simular then just because he had to replace the transmission and engine 3 or 4 times, unless they failed within the first 12 months or 12K miles, it wouldn't qualify as a lemon in the eyes of the court. It would take a good lawyer to argue why it should be bought back as a lemon, regardless of whether it doesn't seem right or not.

Back