• Register Today It's free!

Funny thing happened today

Bobmbx

Reaction score
City, State
King George, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
When I finished work today, I found some red plastic pieces all over the dash and seats.

Turns out a cigarette lighter exploded. I've heard of it happening, but always thought it was a wives tale. There wasn't any burn marks or smell, so I don't know it burned or just burst.

And it wasn't that hot today, either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has a spring of sorts inside it right? Maybe something corroded, broke, and the spring blew it apart from there?

edit* Was thinking you meant a car lighter....haha. oops

When I finished work today, I found some red plastic pieces all over the dash and seats.

Turns out a cigarette lighter exploded. I've heard of it happening, but always thought it was a wives tale. There wasn't any burn marks or smell, so I don't know it burned or just burst.

And it wasn't that hot today, either.
you're referring to a bic lighter or similar?

Butane. A Scripto, I believe.

Every gas has what's called a critical temperature, at or above that temperature it can no longer be held as a liquid, no matter what pressure. The critical temperature for butane is 306 Fahrenheit.

Pressure increases with temperature, critical point or not. So if it was in the sun it could have gotten hot enough for the pressure to exceed what the plastic could hold, and kaboom. No fire needed, just pressure.

Back