Fuse #24 (starter) always blows, '98 Explorer ... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuse #24 (starter) always blows, '98 Explorer ...

kciRsnurB

Reaction score
City, State
Ft Washington, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Looking for some good advice/direction on which path to take in order to track down an electrical problem.

1998 Ford Explorer would intermittently blow the #24 fuse (inside panel, Clutch Pedal Position Switch/Starter Relay Coil/Digital Transmission Range Sensor Switch fuse) when I would attempt to start. Nothing would happen when the key was turned to the ‘Start’ position. Replace the fuse, all is well for a few weeks until it would blow again. Now, it’s continually happening.

There is 4 VDC across the fuse prongs in all key positions except “START”, when the voltage jumps to 12 VDC. All relays and fuses in the battery junction box check out OK and I’ve even swapped out the Starter relay.

With the key in the “RUN” position, I can jump across the starter motor and the solenoid and start the vehicle. I can also manually close the relay in the battery junction box (remove the plastic cover of the relay, manually close the relay with my finger) and start the vehicle.

I have the Ford OEM Service Manuals and am not finding the proper trouble shooting section for this … also wondering if it’s something as simple as the ignition switch. Am not looking forward to tearing into wiring bundles looking for chaffing or a short … but I’ve endured worse!

Any sage advice from a good spark chaser would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Rick.

Back