• Register Today It's free!

Fuse box 26 keep blowing

glenn_a

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hi there, i need your help if theres anyone out there is good in electrical trouble shooting....

I have a 1997 FORD EXPLORER V6 XLT SOHC and i just noticed my reverse light not working and first thing i checked was the fuse and i found the #26 is blown...

i have no idea why, all i know was i took the car for a 5hrs long drive and when i got home then reversed into my garage and found its not working...

i did use my cruise control but still working which i just checked today but i had noticed too on the way back from the long hours of driving my 'D' started flashing till i got home but i had this issues for about an year but i dont think this was the cause, thats all i did and i cant think of anything else...

Everytime i replace the blown fuse #26 (10amp) and turn the igntion on then it blows...

PLEASE HELP...!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Starting at your tail lights check the wires from the back to the transmission. Should be a plug on the the tranny check that. Many times when people wire in a harness for towing wires get exposed and ground. If you are the original owner and never plumbed one in I would check the connectors at the tranny. Hope this helps.

check the steering wheel area near the dash where wiring might have been pinched / rubbing from tilting the steering.

Of course, use the search herein to find some of the other posts with this problem ... :-)

if the fuse is blowing as soon as you turn on the key, it doesn't have anything to do with your backup lights. fuse #26 must also control some other circut besides the backup lights. check your owner's manual to see what else is on this circut. you have to narrow it down before you start tearing things apart. something else must not be working and must be the cause of your short.

Fuse 26 protects these circuits which all run on a purple wire with orange stripe:
Rear window defrost relay (dash behind the glove box);
4x2 solenoid (passenger front fender near air intake);
4x4 solenoid (passenger front fender near air intake);
daytime running lights module (in Canadian cars) (behind driver side headlamp);
transmission range sensor in automatic transmissions (driver side of transmission; shift linkage);
backup light switch in manual transmissions (top of manual transmission shifter area); from either
the TR switch or the B/U switch in the manual tranny model, a black with pink stripe wire goes
to the lamps in back. Since you blow your fuse when you first turn the key, the short is probably not on
the black/pink circuit. The only way it would be is if both the switch (tranny range sensor or
reverse switch on the manual tranny) is bad AND there is a short in the black/pink circuit.

the 4x4/4x2 solenoids referred to are not used on the 97, those were only for vehicles equipped with a center axle disconnect. IIRC fuse 26 feeds the GEM on the 97's, but i dont have my manual handy so i cant say with complete confidence

Explodr94 + budwich + koda2000.... thank for the info's

Fuse 26 protects these circuits which all run on a purple wire with orange stripe:
Rear window defrost relay (dash behind the glove box);
4x2 solenoid (passenger front fender near air intake);
4x4 solenoid (passenger front fender near air intake);
daytime running lights module (in Canadian cars) (behind driver side headlamp);
transmission range sensor in automatic transmissions (driver side of transmission; shift linkage);
backup light switch in manual transmissions (top of manual transmission shifter area); from either
the TR switch or the B/U switch in the manual tranny model, a black with pink stripe wire goes
to the lamps in back. Since you blow your fuse when you first turn the key, the short is probably not on
the black/pink circuit. The only way it would be is if both the switch (tranny range sensor or
reverse switch on the manual tranny) is bad AND there is a short in the black/pink circuit.

I'll check it over tmrw and see what i came up with, atleast i know where to start now.....

the 4x4/4x2 solenoids referred to are not used on the 97, those were only for vehicles equipped with a center axle disconnect. IIRC fuse 26 feeds the GEM on the 97's, but i dont have my manual handy so i cant say with complete confidence

thanks heaps....

dayum..! still no luck ;( i tried to check this problem today at the shop but the problem did not show up it seems it fixed itself. i tried to shake all the cables under dash + under car + etc... got no luck

somehow soon i got home i heared the fuse blew again "what the?" im so lost.... dont know where to start...

i found that the fuse #26
1) REAR DEMISTER
2) OVER DRIVE CONTROL SWITCH
3) DRL MODULE
4) TRANSMISSION RANGE (TR) SENSOR
5) DIGITAL TRANSMISSION RANGE (DTR) SENSOR
6) REVERSE LAMP

3-4-5... I have no idea what that is

did you take the "search hint".... its by far your best bet.

Top of the page, above the header. Text box with a "search" button next to it.

Top of the page, above the header. Text box with a "search" button next to it.

oh that, search button.... ;) i thought there another so called "search hint" lol, thanks heaps yeah i'll go thru it and see if theres any... thanks!

If you checked it at the shop, and drove it around, but it did not pop until you got home. Do you remember what you were doing when it popped what was on. Did you go into reverse at home and not at the shop. Do you have Daylight Running Lights?

If you checked it at the shop, and drove it around, but it did not pop until you got home. Do you remember what you were doing when it popped what was on. Did you go into reverse at home and not at the shop. Do you have Daylight Running Lights?

thanks mate..! i thought of that too but still it just pop soon i turned the ignition on but sometimes no and sometimes it only pops when i start the explr too...

but yeahhh..... ---------->

FINALLY FOUND THIS MYSTERIOUS ELECTRICAL PROBLEM........

I sat down think what else it could be, i checked every single wiring under the dash behind rear bar plus front bar and under car..

i thought about it when i said when ever i take my car in the workshop after working hours and checked the problem why i couldnt find the faults but soon i get home the fuse pops...! so i was guessing soon something gets hot so i assumed the engine, i looked into the engine bay and i found this.........

5-2.jpg

the EGR pipe with heat insulation contacting wiring harnes... (burnt and melted)

6-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

PROBLEM FOUND...! (SECURED AND TAPED UP AND WRAPPED IT WITH HEAT WRAP)....
Thanks guy for all your time and effort to message back, thanks again!;)
q.jpg

Glad you found the prob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

glad you found the problem, but that heat wrap tape looks metallic. great for heat, not so much for covering bare wires. i hope you used a plastic electrical tape under it.

Back