• Register Today It's free!

fuses, flashers and towing

offroadford4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Lewisberry, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie
So my X had a ball on the bumper and wiring in the rear 1/4 for towing when I got it. I picked a tow dolly from my grandfather and when I brought it home, I had a few issues, and I feel they are related though I'm asking here to verify or identify the problem(s) that need corrected.

First I did a light check and parks and brakes worked just fine. The turn signals wouldn't even register to the outside lights at all (they never got brighter) but by the indicators inside they would flash on for maybe a 10th of a second and got out for about 2-3 seconds before attempting to flash again. Didn't have time to mess with it since it was late, and it was only a few back road miles home so I left with it. By the time I got home and tried to use the signals a few time outa habit it blew the fuse for the signals which also was the same circuit as the ac blower etc.

So my thought is since it still has an original style thermal flasher that with the additional lights on the trailer/dolly it over loaded the flasher causing it to burn out the fuse. Is this correct? Do I need to buy a new style electronic heavy duty flasher? Will that correct the issue?

Thanks yall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the wiring for the towing harness. The correct way is to use a plug-in harness on the driver side wiring, behind the removable panel in back, where the jack is.

Sometimes people just crimp wires straight on to the factory stuff, and it doesn't work quite so well.

If you find wires crimped and taped to each other, my suggestion would be to spend the few dollars it costs for a real wiring harness. with 91-94 Explorers being as old and as common as they are, the harnesses are extremely cheap online, sometimes just a few dollars and a few more for shipping for a quality Hoppy/Reese/Highland brand name harness.

You probably still want to upgrade the flasher to one of the heavy duty variety too, if you have to buy one anyway. Two lights on a tow dolly shouldn't really overload the circuit, but maybe it has more lights or they are really bright bulbs.

It has the appropriate plug in harness utilizing the factory plugs where you mentioned. And I believe it has maybe 6 bulbs. I know for sure it has 4 because of the tails and it also has markers on the front of the fenders.

I'm just curious if the flasher is the problem before going and spending the money on one. Granted its like $12 for a HD flasher but if I don't have to spend it, I don't want to.

Thank you for the reply.

You could always return the flasher if you try it and it does nothing. I don't think a heavy duty flasher is a bad idea in a vehicle that sees towing duty.

Is the flasher that's in it now the original? It might have been replaced with a regular one, where the OE flasher might have been heavy duty if it came equipped with a towing package. The flasher on mine is still original and has worked fine for everything from boat trailers to dual axle box trailers, and that was with a crimp-on trailer harness job.

Well I picked up an electronic heavy duty flasher that has a 10 lamp capability and everything works just as it should now with the lights. Guess that antique thermal flasher just couldn't handle it.

Back