fusion213's SAS thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fusion213's SAS thread

Well, since we finally have a year break between deployments to Iraq, i'm going to be starting my SAS on my Explorer.

What it's going to consist of is a HP D44 with chromoly shafts, ctm u-joints, 4.88s. Coil sprung with cage radius arms. The rear end is going to go SOA and the superior super 88 kit is going to be installed.

I was going to install the jeep 208 with ford 208 input installed as the transfercase but seeing the ease of installing the bw4406, i think i'm going to go that route.

I ordered the tires and wheels and i'm getting 37x12.50 BFG MT KM2s and beadlock wheels from beadlock specialities.

I'm going to need some suggestions on what to use as the steering box because i've got a 79 4x4 steering box that needs to get rebuilt... or maybe i should run the toyota IFS box? I'm going the hydraulic assist route if money permits.

I bought a 91 4x4 explorer sport for 1000 bucks to drive as i'm doing this swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd run the Ford box inside the frame, I know alot of people have been runnig the 'yota boxes, but 034x4 used the yota box and he had 16+" of travel up front and the 'yota box gave him problems at full stuff, he couldn't really turn right. and teh steering shaft was wayy long, but thats up to you.

If you are thinking of ydraulic assist, just have westtexasoffroad.com rebuild your box and tap it for Hydro at the same time, save ya some $$$, its actually a pretty good deal

I was thinking about going through them for all the hydro assist stuff and get a rebuilt box from them too.
From the threads of the other V8 guys' buildups, it's said there isn't any room to fit the steering box inside the frame rail.

Here's the radius arms i'm going to use for the SAS. They're CAGE radius arms and the heims are pretty beefy!
cagearms.jpg

RAHeim.jpg

I also just got the tires i'm going to be using. They're the new BFGoodrich MT KM2s in 37x12.50R17!
tires1.jpg

BFGKM2Sticker.jpg

sweet looking good so far...Subscribin too.

Subscribing.

Got some more parts in consisting of:
Superior Super 88 kit
2 of 4 17x9.5 beadlocked wheels from beadlock specialties
BW4406 manual shift transfer case
Expedition rear driveshaft

I'll have pictures tomorrow of them.
Going to install the transfercase and shaft hopefully tomorrow if I can find new joints for the shaft. It seems that the front joint on the expedition shaft is a 1410 series and the rear joint is a 1350 series.

Does an expedition driveshaft bolt up to an explorer? If so im gonna copy you.

Does an expedition driveshaft bolt up to an explorer? If so im gonna copy you.

From the other threads, it should... I still haven't bolted mine in yet but hopefully i'll get it swapped in tomorrow.

Pictures of the new parts.

Well, my other two beadlocks came in today. Here are the beadlocks:
blindingwheel.jpg

wheelside.jpg

Sorry about the blinding light, it was dark in the garage and the flash on the camera ruined it.

Here's the 4406 I received:
4406.jpg

And the super 88 kit's shafts:
s88shaft.jpg

I did take a picture of the driveshaft but it was a really bad picture. The viewfinder on the back of the digi cam is broken so I don't really know what it looks like when I take a picture.
Anyways, the odd thing about the driveshaft are the joints... now when the parts guys look up the u-joints for an expedition, the year that this shaft is supposedly from... it shows options for front and rear 1330 joints or front and rear 1350 series joints. This shaft here definately has the 1350 series rear joint but the front joint is a 1410 series. I thought it was pretty odd. The slip yoke definately engages in the transfer case, I just hope it operates leak free. The rear yoke is flange mounted, i'll see tomorrow if it also fits.

Cost wise, the break down on how much i've spent on parts looks like:
Cage arms - ~500
Beadlocks - ~350/wheel
Super 88 - 425
Tires - 300/tire
HP D44 housing - not sure, i picked it up a few years ago
I also bought a chevy axle with high steer arms and small bearing spindles to take all the high steer stuff off of and had parts mike mill drill and tap them
I bought the arms from sky manufacturing... not sure how much i spent on them either, it was a while back.
The t-case i bought on ebay, supposedly it has only 7k miles on it, seems to be in good working order when I shifted it - 230
D/S - 60
most of the prices are including shipping minus the t-case and d/s.

Anyways, the odd thing about the driveshaft are the joints... now when the parts guys look up the u-joints for an expedition, the year that this shaft is supposedly from... it shows options for front and rear 1330 joints or front and rear 1350 series joints. This shaft here definately has the 1350 series.

My expedition shaft uses a 330 and a 331 u-joint combo (precision numbers)

Sweet wheels......How'd you get the good deal on the cage arms?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back