• Register Today It's free!

Future lift on stock 1994

Wyhunter1988

Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
I am hoping to gain a little ground clearance on my 94 XLT. I am currently running stock suspension and 235/75r15 tires. I hope to go to 31x10.5 or 32x11.50 on the stock rims. I plan on using the skyjacker aal and coil kit (or similar) and either rancho or the skyjacker 0-1.5" shocks. I'll probably add a 2" body lift as well- still looking into that.

If I decide I want more lift after this, can I add a puck or f150/100 spring seats and shackles without upgrading shocks or completely screwing up front end? This would add 4" lift total with skyjacker aal/springs.

This is a "daily driver" meaning I use it when my work vehicle breaks down or when weather is too bad to drive the motorcycle and the wife has the car. (400 miles driven in the last 6 weeks) Trying to lift it CHEAP before next spring when it will need new tires. The stock suspension is pretty soggy now and I'm hoping I can talk the wife into spending a few extra $$$ to lift it when I replace the shocks.

Pictures of 1st gens with the skyjacker kit and 31s or even with a 3" BL would be appreciated. And yes I have searched, Used the google bar and gawked the last few months :)

Still not sure what the least invasive lift would be and whether to create a kit or buy a kit. I'm a newb at lifts and suspension so I'm reading and asking all I can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I decide I want more lift after this, can I add a puck or f150/100 spring seats and shackles without upgrading shocks or completely screwing up front end? This would add 4" lift total with skyjacker aal/springs.

The trick with lifting the TTB suspension (what you have up front) is you have to lower the axle pivot points when you lift the vehicle. You can lift the vehicle upwards of 2" before you "must" lower the pivot brackets (or do something else to fix the camber). Once you get over about 2" of lift you really should start lowering the radius arm pivot points too. If you don't do that you end up messing with you caster which can cause drivability issues.

Personally, I'd go with a full 2.5" lift kit (think james Duff etc) which comes with good axle pivot and radius arm brackets. Now, if you decide you want to go a little higher you can add the spacers up front for another 1.5" or so of lift and still be able to align the front end.

Some kits are better than others.. some use all new axle pivot brackets, others use drop brackets and some that use the drop brackets should be modified so your front diff doesn't hit the axle pivot.. I'm drawing a blank on the kit that has that issue though...

Don't forget, as you go up in tire size you really should regear. It all depends on what gear ratio you are starting with.. If you have 3.27's I wouldn't go to 32's without changing the gears...

~Mark

If you are on a budget:

Suspension-

Front: (Choose one)
1) 2 inch lift coils (I reccomend Skyjacker or James Duff if Duff makes them)
2) F150 TTB Coil seats -Net roughly 1.5."

You will need an alignment and at least 2 degree eccentric camber bushings (roughly $50 for the bushings)

Rear: (Choose one)
1) Add a leaf will give you 1.5 - 2" and be beneficial if you do a bit of towing.
2) Warrior or similar measure extended shackles - 1.5-2" of lift.

At this point 31" tires will fit about stock.

Body: PA 3" bodylift with steering shaft extension.

With the combo of both Suspension and Body outlined about - you are at roughly 5" lift for about $500, steering and suspension should handle close to stock, and you can clear 33" tires with at most trimming out a little of the backside of the front fenders.

2" suspension lift in the front is the ABSOLUTE MAX you can lift before needing matching Axle drop brackets, drop pitman arm, longer shocks, radius arm drop/extension to have the truck handle close to stock.

I checked my gears: 3.73. Probably best to stick with 31 or 32" tires without regearing. I. Found another thread wih pics- I like explorin'va's pic in post #5 And fr-425's pic in post [URL=http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=17]#17 http[/URL] ://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402100&page=2

And fr-425's pic in post #17 . But I think I like explorinva's better for my uses and will either go with the skyjacker coil and aal leaf kit or get a long AAL and f150 coil seats.

Now to save up a few more bucks for the new shocks and more creeping around the site :)

Suicide77- yours is awesome! But way beyond what I could talk my wife into doing with my beater explorer :) I also need to repair or replace the rocker panels and dog legs. Darn rust!

Back