FYI: Spare Bulbs in Gen II | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FYI: Spare Bulbs in Gen II

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I recently noticed my Check Engine Light did not come on when the ignition was turned on (failed bulb check). As I also had several burnt-out instrument illumination bulbs, I figured I'd also check and change the CEL bulb while I was in there.

Sure enough the CEL bulb was bad. My vehicle is 2wd, but apparently Ford puts bulbs in every location in the instrument cluster (probably just easier that way) so i had at least 3 extra bulbs in my cluster which did nothing. Ford also labels the circuit tape on the back of the cluster, which makes it easy to identify which bulb is for what. Rather than buying a new bulb, I just swapped the 4X4 LO bulb with the CEL. Not exactly a huge financial savings, but it saved me a trip back to the auto parts store. And yes, i replaced all the illumination bulbs, even the ones that still worked.

As for the cost of the #194 illum bulbs, AutoZone wanted $4.99 for two (it requires 6). I had a buddy of mine get me a bulk pack of 10 at O'Rielly's for 28 cents each (his cost). WalMart also sells #168LL bulbs for $1.98 for two where AZ wants $4.99 for the same Sylvania bulbs.

obie, you're very welcome. i hope someone finds the info helpful. i can also provide detailed instructions on how to remove the instrument cluster if anyone needs them.

just to be clear, the #194's are for the instrument illumination. the #168's were for the tag lights. i didn't notice what the bulb number's were for the CEL type bulbs as i didn't need to purchase any.

i also replaced the bulbs for the rear wiper switch, rear defogger switch and the fog light switch as they were all out. i had an extra bulb for the wiper sw so i don't have a source for that one, but the others are know as Type 3's and can be purchased from www.autolumination.com for $1.99 each. although they come in green, i understand the blue is a better match to the original bulb color.

Back