Gabriel rear coil over questions.Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gabriel rear coil over questions.Problems

98 MERC

Reaction score
City, State
Holland Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer 5.0
So i just got em in the mail from auto zone and the top spring retainers are plastic.Not metal like my old monroe coil overs.Is this bad ? I kinda think it is.I mean who is to stay that top plastic retainer wont crack and snap off during a cold day ?

ashock%20001.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They look to be about 25 and 3/4 long.I really like the red springs.I am concerned the retainers will snap with the first load i put on them.Am i missing something here ???? They should have metal retainers right ?? not plastic.

They have warranty right? Run em. Air spring ends are usually plastic. Sway bar end links are plastic on some cars. Plastic has come a long way

I say run them also. If they fail, return them and get a store credit and go with a new set of Monroe's if u like. Gabriel has a good rep and usually makes a pretty good product, no? They might hold up just fine.

Yea i read another guys review on amazon about these ones and he had the same concern i did with the plastic ends.But he updated his review every year for 3 years of use in his suv and the plastic never cracked.Soooooo i am gonna run em.They do have a lifetime warranty.

Just a side note.I do have the Monroe version on my truck now.They are worn out after 3 years and are making all kinds of racket when i go over bumps.When the truck is loaded they are quiet.But unloaded OH HELL NO.I am gonna say that the springs are compressed and have slack now between the spring and top plate.So that's why i am trying the Gabriel version.I am going to take my old monroes back for exchange just so i have a extra pair on hand.

Just wanted to update this post.I got the Gabriel's installed today and they make the truck sit just as high as the Monroe's did.Funny thing is that the actual coil spring's on the gabriels are thicker and shorter then the longer and more skinny Monroe coil springs.THEY ARE RED TOO.LOL.The whole length of the coil over is physically the same size on both brands.A thicker and shorter spring should mean they are more stiff.Funny thing is that i took the monroes' back to advanced auto parts and they gave me a full refund and took em back LOL.I was like WHAT ???? I got 3 years out of them for free i guess.I think the lady had no idea what she was doing.

Looks AWESOME! And it did help with the ride height and raised the rear? Like the look of your Montaineer

Yes from just stock shocks to these yes indeed.It is at stock height now from factory in 1998.However they have a 3 year lifespan at best.They will sag in 3 years so keep your warranty papers.Thanks for the compliment ! I am the only guy in town that is restoring one of these and modified it.Its unique so i do get people that pull me aside and tell me they like how its something different.People have all moved onto jeeps now.I also made sure to paint the inside of the rear wheel wells as you can see much much more with that ride height.

I just ordered up new rear lateral arms or control arms for the back from ford.Not sure what they are called.They are behind the rear tires and connect to the diff and to the fame.I will paint them red too.Then install my G2 rear diff cover.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just ordered up new rear lateral arms or control arms for the back from ford.Not sure what they are called.They are behind the rear tires and connect to the diff and to the fame.I will paint them red too.Then install my G2 rear diff cover.

That would be called your Sway Bar. It helps with the Body roll when going around corners.

Back