Gabriel shock install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gabriel shock install

wade1485

Reaction score
City, State
stow, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
fyi for any novice explorer owners trying to replace shocks. dont pay the money at a shop to have them done. i have never replaced shocks in my life and my mechanical knowledge is very limited, but i was able to replace both front shocks in under 30 minutes. i used gabriel shocks that ran me about 25.00 each at the local auto zone as i do not off road or haul and they made a world of difference. so if you're thinking of doing it yourself give it a shot, no special tools are required (except wrenches and socket set) and a hydrolic jack is not needed. you don't even have to take off the wheel. hope this helps anyone looking to replace their shocks.

Exactly right- only lowered the rear spare on mine to do all 4. I did pull the front wheel on the first side on mine because I had to change them in a 1 car apartment garage (for some more room for my fatter @$$) but I did the other side with the tire on. All you really need to do is remove the front splash shields so they're not constantly in your way...

Jack never made an appearance either.

Just a hint, If you have like 11 miles of extensions, it is easier to get the top bolts from the shocks through the hood. :)

Back