Gap between hood and fender? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gap between hood and fender?

I didn't think much of this when I bought the truck but now that it's getting wet and cold out I'm finding too much water inside of the hood, and on the battery. The hood on the passenger side looks as if it's positioned correctly, the gap looks perfect. I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem or knows how to fix it? Is it a DIY or body shop job?

Here are a few pictures of the driver side.

10ndhm0.jpg

260xsol.jpg

That's a good size gap there...that should have been a red flag when buying the vehicle. It's possible the vehicle was in an accident and was poorly repaired.

Hows the gap between that fender and the door? It's possible to adjust the gaps on the fenders and hood to a certain degree as they have fairly large holes.

Good luck

Door to fender looks normal on both sides. Checked all records and they were clean but I guess it could have gone unreported if it had been in an accident. I read online that I could adjust the hood bolts to get it back aligned or see if I can scrap one from the junk yard nearby.

Yes there's plenty of room to adjust the hood just like the fenders. You're going to need another person to hold the hood in place while you adjust and tighten the bolts or else you'll be chasing your tail.

I saw the pics you posted in the new member forum which shows a more overall shot of the hood and drivers fender. It doesn't look near as bad as the close up pics in this thread. Has the gap gotten worse from then until now or is it the pics that make it the gap look bigger?

no question its been hit.
step one is to remove the hood latch.
NEVER try to align a hood with the latch in place.

Its like tying your shoes then putting them on.

Back