• Register Today It's free!

Garage Door Opener Replacement

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
City, State
New york
Year, Model & Trim Level
just looking
My garage door opener is about 30 years old and has difficulty going down. It is temperamental in that most of the time it will stop halfway down and then go back up. I'm probably overdue for a new garage door opener in any event, but I don't know if I also need new springs or other parts as well. Is a new garage door opener something a handyman can install or does it require a specialized garage door repair person to accomplish this task?

My garage door opener is about 30 years old and has difficulty going down. It is temperamental in that most of the time it will stop halfway down and then go back up. I'm probably overdue for a new garage door opener in any event garage door spring repair Virginia Beach VA, but I don't know if I also need new springs or other parts as well. Is a new garage door opener something a handyman can install or does it require a specialized garage door repair person to accomplish this task?
thanks in advance for any help

We had some debris hanging off the bottom of our door that was breaking the IR beam and making the door stop and reverse because it thought something was in the way.

You might try disconnecting the door from the motorized track and try moving the door manually and see how smooth it operates. Sometimes the rollers get out of alignment a little and cause enough resistance that the motor stops and reverses. And sometimes the tracks will shift over time, causing the same result.

A good spring test (while you have it disconnected from the track) is to lift the door about half way and let it go. It should pretty much stay and not drift down.

A visual check of the springs should be done. You'd be looking for gaps in the springs, meaning they've been over stressed and can no longer hold the load safely. Spring and cable kits can be bought at any big discount store and are usually sold by color on the end of the spring, indicating how much weight they will sustain. I bought mine off ebay and they've been working fine. I didn't know what color I needed so on advice from a garage door tech, I took a bathroom scale and put it under the disconnected door and weighed it to get a ballpark weight. Seemed to work.

When we moved into our house we replaced both garage doors. Took us a couple days but it wasnt' very hard at all. Just want to study the present track setup and make sure you're new tracks will work. If you're just replacing the springs and motor, it's pretty simple. But try to make sure you run the safety cables through the springs so if the springs break the cable will stop them from shooting across the garage or, worse, injuring someone or putting a dent in your vehicle(s). At an apartment we lived in years ago one of the springs let go in the middle of the night and the apartment mgt. didn't put the cables in. Sounded like a gun shot. Went to the garage and found the spring in the corner after putting a good sized dent in the side of our new-ish Thunderbird. Management fixed the spring and paid for getting the car fixed.

difficulty going DOWN?.... definately pull the release handle and check you track assembly. Depending on the spring assembly as to how you need to adjust but a garage door SHOULD stay ANYWHERE you place it...not falling down or going up ANYWHERE within the movement range. If not some spring adjustment is needed to BALANCE the system.

THEN....see what your opener will do?

Back