Garmin Nuvi hardwire install on 2004 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Garmin Nuvi hardwire install on 2004 Explorer

turborich

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I've done without a GPS forever & finally decided to get one. I picked up a Garmin Nuvi 1350 with the lifetime maps & traffic updates.

I can't stand seeing wires so I decided to hard wire it. I decided that I wanted it up by the rear view mirror so that's where it went. I pulled the console down & started testing for "key on" power as I wanted it to automatically turn on & off with the key. The only true key on power was to the auto dimming rear view mirror so that's where I tied in at. I used a universal 5 volt mini usb adapter that I got from the dollar store which is tucked away behind the console. Best off all there are no wires!

If you're not going to upgrade to a double din stereo with GPS then this may be an option for you. It will help clean things up in your Explorer or any vehicle for that matter.

DSC00653.jpg

DSC00654.jpg

DSC00655.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice job on the install!!

Thank you.

Another way to do it, I mounted my GPS on the dash, i bought a hard wire USB / Garmin kit - 12v to 6v converter. I wired it to back of the Radio and the Acc line and ground. Then came up through the defroster. My Radar Detector runs off 12v so its also wired to the same wire minus the converter. Now it shuts off when i open the door, comes on when the truck is started.

Attachments

• img049sm.jpg
    img049sm.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,263

I'm really liking the dash mount, but both installs are very clean. :thumbsup:

Loose wires also make me stir crazy, I can't even handle the CB mic cable dangling from the dash. Dash mount GPS is on the to do list. Another day, another project. :)

Good work, guys!

Looks like I'm able to do this! I have a cigarette adapter similar to yours, my question is how did you hook up the hot and ground to the adapter? One to each of the metal side clips on the adapter?

Finding a proper place to tie in is no problem.

Thanks again. :)

____

| Thanks for the quick response!
V

I soldered the wires to the metal contacts on the plug, then used heat shrink tubing over it.

Back