Gas efficiency | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas efficiency

mikelowrey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello all,

i would like to know if there is a noticeable difference in MPG between the XLT and the Sport. I am aware that sticker shows the Sport with 1 mile less PG but I wanted to know if the there is a difference.

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum mikelowrey.:wavey:
When you're talking about SUVs, gas efficiency is one thing that doesn't really apply. Although I don't have a Spport, I do have the same engine and so far it seems to be thirstier than the 2011 Limited I had. Keep in mind that I only have about 560 miles on the engine. It isn't a huge difference and I'm hoping it will get a little better as time goes on.
There also aren't too many vehicles that actually achieve the sticker mileage.

Peter

I have a Sport and I'm getting about 18 around town. If I could keep my foot off the gas it would be much higher with highway driving. Maybe someone will chime in with something other than the sport.

There also aren't too many vehicles that actually achieve the sticker mileage.

Peter

Depends on the driver. I go 0-50 in 15-20 seconds and get 21-22mpg combined in my Limited. In my 2012 Focus I get 37-39mpg combined. These are on summer fuel blend.

So would you consider that 24 MPG is accurate on the XLT and 23 on the Sport?

I average about 14mpg with our daily driving and 20mpg on the highway. I wouldn't recommend the Sport if fuel efficiency is your primary requirement. I would recommend the Sport if quickness and having gobs of power on demand is your primary requirement.

I just noticed that on the Ford website, the V6 Ecoboost engine figures for HP and torque were achieved using 93 octane fuel.

Peter

In 100% local summertime driving where no trip is more than 8 miles, we are getting 14-14.5. This is about the same as the honda pilot we traded in. 115 less horsepower than the Ford, mind you. Kudos to Ford on the v6 Ecoboost!

Towing my 3600 lb boat on the highway at about 69 mph, I average about 15. That's actually been slightly better than our pilot was.

Pure highway with little wind and not too hilly of terrain going 72 mph, I can get 22.5-23. Drops off quickly if you start to increase your speed.

I think you'll see slightly better highway mileage with the n/a V6 but no non-hybrid, non-diesel powered v6 gasoline SUV is going to get much better than 13-15 mpg in pure local driving-turbo or no turbo!

So would you consider that 24 MPG is accurate on the XLT and 23 on the Sport?

I am driving drive 5 to 45 mph up and down mountains in yellowstone national park (you can not make cars in front of you move faster). I use cruise control and manual mode down shifting so as not to wear out my brakes. I get 22+ mpg and the Ex typically reports 0.5 to.0 mpg better than calculated.

I had to leave the park for a dental emergency and it seems like open road cruising reports similar mileage.

mpg seem excellent to me considering I am driving a brick weighing over 5000lbs with all the crap in my EX

I have the V6 Ecoboost Sport. I'm at about 17,000km and never reset the 2nd trip meter. It's showing a "lifetime" fuel economy of 12.4l/100km. I always use premium 91 octane gas.
I'm about 80% highway and always cruise at 120km/hr. For the other 20% city driving I drive it hard. The vehicle is redlined multiple times per day and my average accelerations have my transmission easily switching gears in the 4000-4500RPM range.
When I reset the main fuel economy Guage and cruise on the highway at 120km/hr I get about 10.5l/100km. If I slow to about 100 I get about 9.5l/100km.

In summary the V6 ecoboost uses more fuel than the regular V6...but at 360hp and 350lbs torque....worth every penny of it!!!

360 HP and 350 torque are only realized using 93 octane. Just saw that in the vehicle engine specs on the Ford website. I was going to try 91 octane next fill but now wavering between that and the 93.

Peter

Back