• Register Today It's free!

Gas gauge fluxuation

no1sirbutler

Reaction score
City, State
Fairmont, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I have a 1999 explorer XLT and the gas gauge fluxuates up and down. It does it more once it hits half a tank but I still notice it even at a full tank. Is this a common problem and is there a fix? It quite annoying.

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess is the sending unit on the fuel pump. Not sure is it's a separate part or part of the pump. Gas tanks needs to come out for repair. I think there is a tread in the stickies...

As far as I am concerned, it is quite common. The 4 door models do it more than the 2 doors though (in my experience)

Once I have about 1/8 tank on my XLT, I can do down a long hill and it will drop to zero, well past E. Go up the hill and the opposite happens.

It is just the product of fuel moving around in the tank when the attitude of the vehicle changes. The sender just measures fuel level in the back of the tank. If you are somewhat low on fuel it is not a good idea to park downhill on a steep incline. You may not be able to start back up.

The "slush module" is supposed to take care of the fluxuations of the fuel gauge. It's located in the back of the Instrument Panel upper left corner. It's just a removeable chip. Try swapping one out of a junkyard X. Don't be too surprised if it takes care of your problem. :)

Is the slush module the small pc board that is on the back side of, and off to the side of the gauge cluster? I have a 93 Ranger.

Is the slush module the small pc board that is on the back side of, and off to the side of the gauge cluster? I have a 93 Ranger.

Yes, you've got it!

A bad slosh module can also cause a fuel guage to not work at all.If you are thinking about dropping the tank to change the sender always test the guage first.Pull the connector off the sender and plug it into a known good sender.Turn on then key and have an assistant watch the guage while you actuate the sender arm.If the slosh module is working properly,it will take some time for the guage to move.This is normal.

Back