• Register Today It's free!

Gas Gauge not working

ajw1275

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT 5.0
I filled up the gas tank on my 1999 5.0 explorer and i get in this morning and the gas gauge says that the tank is empty. I go to fill up and the tank is still full and the gauge still reads empty. What could the problem be and how can i fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It still runs fine tho. Think it wouldn't hut the truck to drive it for a week like that till I get paid again?

Either the sending unit in the tank is bad or the gauge on the dash is bad or the wire connecting the two is bad. Most likely it's the sending unit in the tank.

There's an electrical connector/plug on the inside of left frame rail behind the rear tire. It can be unplugged and (after consulting a wiring diagram) you can ground the sender wire on the gauge side. This should cause the fuel gauge to go to FULL. If it does, the problem is with the sender in the tank. It will need to be replaced. If you can do this yourself you're looking at anywhere from around $70-$700 for a replacement new fuel pump assembly (depending on brand and where you source it).

Link:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...fuel+&+air,fuel+pump+&+housing+assembly,10147

Having dealt with a similar problem on an old mini-van years ago, even trying to monitor/estimate fuel consumption you will run out of gas so carry a gas can with you until you get it fixed.

I had the same problem, but some times it would read half a tank past full!

The wire was broken off the little circuit board that's on the float on the sending unit, ground was also broken also

Soldered the wire back on the circuit board, connected the ground

Works mint, cost nothing

Back