• Register Today It's free!

Gas - just go with 87?

bitkahuna

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Limited
No, this isn't a thread about gas prices!

The manual says just use 87 and that knocking is normal (well, paraphrasing!). My wife's F-150 says uses 87 too but we've already put 89 in it just to be on the safe side, but maybe that's dumb.

Anyway, for the F-150 and my Explorer - go with 87 or 89, or heck, even premium?

(I came out of a Lexus by the way which only consumed Premium so I feel funny putting in 'cheap' gas :D )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes 87 is what is recommended. you'll be fine with it.

I get the average MPG with 88-89. I like premium because I get a little bit better take-off, but for $.20 per gallon more? No thanx. I have also noticed in other vehicles I bought used; if you start using a higher grade than the previous owner used, sometimes the milage goes down.
Jared G.

Thanks team.

Jared - as far as used, I've never bought a used vehicle. :D Ya never know what hell they put the vehicle through. :-}

if your truck doenst need the higher octane rating, your jsut wasting your $ and creating carbon deposits in your engine

^^^ What Jim said, except substitute "just" for "jsut" :p :D

He should substitute "you're" for the second "your" too. :D

But hey Jimbo, thanks!

Unless you have extensive mods and/or a computer tune that requires a higher octane fuel, just stick with 87.

Good luck ....

Thanks again - 87 it is (I did one part tank of 89 but the other fill-ups have been 87).

I see Ford recommends BP now! On the filler and in the manual. Probably a marketing deal but it's funny how it influenced me - if I see a BP and need gas, I'll go there. :)

jimbo74 said:
if your truck doenst need the higher octane rating, your jsut wasting your $ and creating carbon deposits in your engine

Not quite. I do agree on not wasting the money, if you're vehilce doesn't call for it, you don't need it nor will it do you any performance benefit. Now, as for the carbon, the higher octane fuel will burn cleaner as it is more refined and it has a higher energy potential. You may see an ever so slight increase in fuel economy, but not enough to justify costs. All fuels are not created equal either. I have to run (of the available brands here in atlanta) either shell or citgo. If I run other brands, I get pinging or slight detonation (this is in my blown navigator) The energy potential of some fuels is just higher than others, and the rate at which your spark advance is set is modified to meet that in the octane recommended.

I always thought the octane Had to do with the burn rate. Am i wrong in thinking this? Sorry if that sounds stupid.

dogfriend said:
See the last paragraph in this TSB:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=547782&postcount=19

Someone at Ford believes that running higher octane will lead to carbon deposits. Of course, they could be wrong.

I have never observed this in any motor I have taken apart.

Further, to quote from the TSB...

>>Some vehicles equipped with the 4.0L OHV engine may exhibit an engine noise which may be perceived by the customer as a piston/connecting rod bearing knock. This carbon knock<< Mine is the SOHC motor, nor is his motor.

>>Mid-grade and Premium fuels may increase the probability of carbon buildup<< Keyword here is MAY.

Burning fossil fuels may contribute to global warming.

Anyway, I agree with Jim's post: If your truck is designed for regular unleaded, and you use premium, you are jsut wasting your money and you may be creating carbon deposits in your engine.

lifeguard379 said:
I always thought the octane Had to do with the burn rate. Am i wrong in thinking this? Sorry if that sounds stupid.

Octane is a measure of resistance to detonation. So, yes, you are right in thinking that it is related to burn rate.

dogfriend said:
Burning fossil fuels may contribute to global warming.

Anyway, I agree with Jim's post: If your truck is designed for regular unleaded, and you use premium, you are jsut wasting your money and you may be creating carbon deposits in your engine.

Wasting money is a given.

I run 91 it's the lowest you can get over hear, have also put 98 in it a few times not a lot of difference It ran smoother and felt a bit more responsive.

we have

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the octane rating in Australia calculated the same as here in the states? Which is Rm/2 i think.

Back