• Register Today It's free!

Gas Leak @ Fuel Rail

TACO626

Reaction score
City, State
El Monte, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT 4wd
I've noticed a fuel smell for the past few days, diag and traced a drop of gas coming out the main fuel line that connects to the fuel rail/fuel pressure regulator.

-The fuel line is steel braided
-Connects to the fuel rail under upper intake from driver side

I used my air gun to dry it, immediately gets wet and instantly drips on injector

Anyone have advise on the fix, I am very capable of r+r upper intake and repairing the necessary.

I did my search but honestly did not find the exact problem.

91 4.0 xlt 4x4 :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, just sounds like the connection is bad. Or possibly something isn't sealing up correctly.

The leak is where the hose nut meets the threaded part of the fuel rail

:confused:

I'm assuming your talking the fitting at the back of the engine and not the one on the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR). I'm assuming that becuase you have a 1991 and unless you changed something the Fuel line going to the FPR uses a funky press on fitting instead of a nut connection.

If its not loose and assuming the threads on the fuel rail are good then the connector on the hose has to be bad (or a hole in the hose itself).

If thats the case you need to get some replacement lines from a junk yard. If your going to go that route I'd replace both of those flex lines to the style on the late 1992/1993-1994. That style uses a nut on the FPR connection also. Those FPRs seems to be easier to find and were cheaper when I needed one. Of course, if you do that you will need to replace your FPR to the other kind which can't "hurt", except for the cost of the FPR.

~Mark

Its a fuel line that connects at the driver side. The nut is roughly a 22mm? Looks like anyways, right above injector 6?

Anyways, I will be removing the upper intake soon and will have a better description :rolleyes:

I greatly appreciate your help -

On a side note, Pick-A-Part is 7 minutes away and they will be having a 50% off weekend in a week or 2. I was there last weekend and I did see and peek around 2 Gen1 x's. Not sure exactly what years but hopefully will have the parts I need.

oh man, if there's a 50% sale going on, i'm gonna have to go back home, lol.

i need axle, seat belt, seats, hood.... wonder if that's nation wide...

Ok so I attacked the upper intake this morning, all went smooth. Found the fuel line nut where it connects to the rail - loose! Inspected all very thoroughly and re-tightened nut. Replaced intake gasket, pcv valve, some fuel lines and a few vacuum hoses. Let it run for 10 minutes, road test to gas station, pumped $40, went to car wash and now I'm home. All looks fresh! :salute:

Time to have a 6pack to start :D

Back