Gas Leak? (Maybe?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas Leak? (Maybe?)

Explorer_LOL

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
1999 OHV XLT 4 door.

At the gas station, filling up the tank. Had about 3/4 to fill, noticed the fill meter was dispensing more than I expected. Checked under the truck and thought I saw a pool of gas, but the parking lot had puddles so it could have been water?

Came home (very short drive), checked under the truck again, it was wet from a few puddles on the way home but thought I smelled an unusually strong gas smell, so maybe some kind of leak/overfill thing?

Assuming it's not all just in my head, where might you start looking for the culprit on something like this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you cant see the leak, your going to have to follow your nose to pin poiint the problem. Chances are there will be a wet spot somwhere, sniffing should get you close enough to the problem to locate it.

Is fuel loss or leak greater with full tank or when adding fuel?

You might look closely at the fuel filler tube and fuel filler hose, which connect to the fuel tank. This can be a rust and corrosion issue.

Good luck.

Sounds like what we went through last year.
Our fuel filler vent tube was rusted and needed to be replaced.

Team TARDIS

Most likely filler neck has a hole in it. They tend to rust where the rubber hose is attached (especially in rust-belt states).

eBay prices start at under $30 for a replacement.

s-l1600.jpg

Back