• Register Today It's free!

gas mileage normal?

hiridin

Reaction score
City, State
tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer 4x4
i'm running 5.13's and 38x15.50 tsl radials. which only measure 37" tall. so really i'm running 5.13's and 37's on the 4.0 ohv and manual tranny. i drive very easy almost all the time. anyways i've been good to average 10 mi per gallon and this past week i drove 30 miles highway (usually 60 miles) and 10-15 miles city so less highway driving than usual... i got between 6 and 7 mpg this week driving 40-45 miles now thats flat out bad imo. this is the second time its happened. so its pretty much consistant. more highway equals 10 mpg and less equals 6-7 mpg. now i know my mileage wont be good i don't expect it to be and i knew that it would get worse with the larger tires over my 35's but i guess i didn't realize it would be that bad. anyways my question is... is that what i should expect for my setup. what do other people with similair setups average in there trucks. and i have no cel

One thing you need to remember is that the 38's are heavier and wider which equals greater rolling resistance which equals poorer gas mileage, especially if you do any stop and go driving.

Back