• Register Today It's free!

Gas Mileage Question

konaboy

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
What are you guys getting for averge mileag per gallon with the SOHC V6. I was getting roughly 17 and just checked today and it's down to 14.25 per gallon. (haven't checked in a few months.) Seems a little low. I've noticed the idle feeling like it's missing a little the past few weeks. Have 73K on a '97 XLT was thinking about putting in some new plugs and wires. Anyone have an idea on the gap for the plugs and reccommendations on plugs that have worked well for you?

Kona

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

.054 gap, use Motorcraft double platinum plugs, and a good set of wires.

i get 13.6 mpg with the 4.0l SOHC :( but then again i have 4wd

-Davis

18 to 22 on mine :)

and I DO drive agressivly

For general city/hwy mix I was getting that 17-18 range which is why this caught my eye. Haven't done any driving in 4wd to eat gas that way. Like I mentioned the idle has felt a little funny, kind of like a miss, you can actually feel the odd pulse in the car and hear it in the exhaust which got me thinking about the plugs. Been using the same gas for the past 5 years I've owned it, good old Shell 87octane and it's run fine. Any thoughts?

Kona

some members get over 30 MPG

i was getting 15 mpg with 3.27 gears and 32" tires

now im getting 23 mpg with 4.56 gears and 32" tires

thats all city driving, very aggressive city driving :cool:

Creager said:

Any explanation as to how that is possible?

konaboy said:
HOW????????? :eek:

Kona
Seafoam, acetone, oilfilters, search and yee shall find young man :D

Well the Check Engine light just started glowing, it's friday night no ones open so I guess I'll have to take it somewhere to have it read in the morning.
I was reading another post that Advance Auto Parts has a scanner they'll hook up and tell you the codes? Any idea on the cost.

Kona

konaboy said:
Well the Check Engine light just started glowing, it's friday night no ones open so I guess I'll have to take it somewhere to have it read in the morning.
I was reading another post that Advance Auto Parts has a scanner they'll hook up and tell you the codes? Any idea on the cost.
Kona
Also AutoZone. And they will check it for free, hoping that you would purchase parts from them.

Creager said:

Creager--I'm curious about your mpg increase when you changed your gear ratio. The reason I ask is because it seems counterintuitive that a gear ratio change would increase your mpg--if anything, I would expect a small decrease overall. From what I've read on these forums, a tire/gear change requires a new speedo gear to ensure the speedometer and odometer are accurate. Was this done when you changed your tires and gears?

Some quick math shows 4.56's require approximately 40% more driveshaft revolutions than 3.27's to go the same distance. Your mpg increase is in the same ballpark (about 50%). If the speedo gears weren't updated to match your tire/gear combo, you could be seeing misleading results.

My apologies if I've missed something here, so set me straight if you need to. With gas prices the way they are these days, I'll be the next one in line to change my gearing if it'll help! :)

I've only had my '00 XLT for a week, and I've gone roughly 18mpg on my first tank. So far 100% city driving, but when I say city I really mean burbs. I'm sure any actual in-city driving would make that 18 plummet.

I'm eagerly reading about some of the mods people are doing to increase their mpg. It seems that switching to synthetic all around is the easiest quickest way to gain a few, or in my case hurdle over 20 mpg, short of driving like a granny.

1995_Ford_XLT said:
Creager--I'm curious about your mpg increase when you changed your gear ratio. The reason I ask is because it seems counterintuitive that a gear ratio change would increase your mpg--if anything, I would expect a small decrease overall.

hey there 1995_Ford_XLT, i was wondering this too before i regeared but i think one of the things ppl usually forget about is the torque reduction.. yeah it requires less revolutions to go the same distance if the explorer has lower gears, but it'll also have less torque. imagine if that distance u were to travel is an incline... with the smaller gears, chances are your explorer will drop out of the higher gears and dive into the lower gears - which will mean higher rpms.. this is just one of the things to factor in.. there is also the "sweet spot" of the engine RPM/torque that you want to aim for.. the stock configuration should be in this sweet spot at normal driving conditions (highway and such) that is optimized for most efficiency (gas consumption versus distance travelled) .. putting on large tires will offset the explorer from this sweet spot, regearing it will put it back close to it... stock gear ratios and large tires isnt so bad if your driving in highway conditions and if that highway is pretty flat, but once you get into city driving or in mountainous regions, then it sux.

Gas mileage will suffer more at high speeds with a major gear ratio increase. For true low speed city driving, mpg may not change at all with a higher ratio like a 4.56:1.

That Creager is getting better fuel mileage is probably a result of his driving style. Congratulations on matching your gears to your needs. :thumbsup:
Don

konaboy said:
... I've noticed the idle feeling like it's missing a little the past few weeks....

Kona

Has any work been done to the engine, ever? The pre 2002 SOHC 4.0 engines should have the two tensioners replaced, as well as the cam cassettes. The rear cassette is evidently much less likely to fail, but the front should be replaced if the mileage is over, say 50k. How does the engine sound when started, cold? Are there any valvetrain sounding noises at any time?

You should look seriously at servicing those cam drive parts. If it's not under warrantee it could be very expensive to wait until the engine blows. Good luck,
Don

CDW6212R said:
That Creager is getting better fuel mileage is probably a result of his driving style

After larger tires, I used to get crap gas mileage before i regeared to 4.56s (drove it this way for a few months) ... but after regear, i got better gas mileage (like Creager).. and i dont think ive changed in how i drive

With my 97 with a V8 ive been getting a little more then 20mpg lately. Thats with a heavy foot to. I just try to use cruise control as much as possible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IZwack said:
After larger tires, I used to get crap gas mileage before i regeared to 4.56s (drove it this way for a few months) ... but after regear, i got better gas mileage (like Creager).. and i dont think ive changed in how i drive

You missunderstood me. I was saying that his driving style has been part of the reason that he gets better fuel mileage. I didn't say that he changed his driving style. He probably runs through the gears often with more throttle than most drivers. The extra gearing helps him to get to speed better than lower ratio gears.
Don

Back