• Register Today It's free!

Gas mileage ?

BRDE

Reaction score
City, State
coshocton ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 xls
I just bought a 2002 XLS,v6 ,with 40k mi. and i'm getting 13.5 mpg. My driving is half city / highway. I don't think i drive too fast. Is this normal gas mileage? I was hoping to do a little better. If anyone could give me any advice i'd appreciate it. thanks :usa: :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought a 2002 XLS and i'm getting 13.5 mpg. Is this normal gas mileage? I was hoping to do a little better. If anyone could give me any advice i'd appreciate it. thanks :usa: :thumbsup:

I believe this is normal they usually get about 14-15mpg if your lucky.

Is it a V8 or V6? I have the SOHC and my X will usually average around 17-19 mpg, depending on highway vs city driving. If it is the V8, 13.5 sounds about right if you are doing mostly city driving. The V6 should be getting better mileage though.

I think you are off by a bit. I get 17-20 with my v8. I just did 300 miles tonight up into the mountains and got 18 into the wind.

Is it used or new? how many miles? might need a new fuel filter and some basic service done too it just take it too a local shop and get it checked.

I think you are off by a bit. I get 17-20 with my v8. I just did 300 miles tonight up into the mountains and got 18 into the wind.
Holy cow!! That's incredible mileage with a V8. That is of monumental proportions!! (sorry couldn't resist) :p
:thumbsup:

Hmm...Mine is the 4.0 SOHC, but 4X4 and I average 20 mpg. Thats just about anywhere I have driven it. It doesn't seem to make much difference if its around here (rural hills and curves) or interstate.

RedEB said:
Holy cow!! That's incredible mileage with a V8. That is of monumental proportions!! (sorry couldn't resist) :p
:thumbsup:
lol The few people I know that have 3rd gens all get similar mileage and those with 4.0s get even more monumental mpg 18-20+

I have read that thread a few times. Lots of good stuff there. :thumbsup: I do drive a 4X4 and I believe yours is a 4X2 and lowered some (right-wrong?).
Mine, if anything, will go higher. I am thinking supercharger someday (dreams ;) )

I do drive it very hard. I am surprised at the mileage I get in the hills and curves I drive it on, but I am not complaining. That is much better than either my F-150 or my ranger gets.

Brian_B said:
I have read that thread a few times. Lots of good stuff there. :thumbsup: I do drive a 4X4 and I believe yours is a 4X2 and lowered some (right-wrong?).

Yes its a 4x2 and no, its at stock height ( at one time it was lowered but the ride quality sucked so much it went back to stock height ).

Oh ok, I thought I had read it was lowered. I didn't know you raised it again. You have that thing fixed up very nicely. I love all the auxillary filters (oil and trans) and the trans cooler. Those are projects many of us need to do.

Back