• Register Today It's free!

Gas Mileage

Oakheart

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
Hello recently aquired a 93 sport and want to know what sorts of mods I can do to increase my gas mileage??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even with good gears and a light foot, don't expect to get much over 14-15 mpg in town; or 21 mpg on the highway even with mods. This is just a law physics with a 4500 lb truck with brick-aerodynamics and a 4.0 OHV engine that was designed more for torque, with fuel efficiency taking a back seat.

With all the mods I have done, I've gained about 1 mpg.
I keep meticulous mileage records.
On average, in winter the mpg decreases by a little; my limited knowledge of gasoline attributes this mpg loss to oxygenated gas and to lots of open-loop (warmup higher idle) operation.

Originally posted by Rhett Browning
Even with good gears and a light foot, don't expect to get much over 14-15 mpg in town; or 21 mpg on the highway even with mods.

With all the mods I have done, I've gained about 1 mpg.
I keep meticulous mileage records.

Not necessarly true.... see http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44372&highlight=quest+for

What do you think causes you such poor mileage? Heavy foot?

There are a lot of things one can do to improve their mileage. Driving style is one of the most important.

I'm with Rhett- just keep it properly maintained and hope for factory spec mpg.

Back