Gas pedal/break pedal issues

BossRoss

Reaction score
City, State
Nicholasville, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hello all,
First timer here...My wife just had her second rear-ender in my 97 XLT. The problem I believe is that the gas pedal and the break pedal are too close together and easily pushed at the same time. I have also had this problem when driving it. My question, has anyone else noticed this problem and can anything be done to fix it?.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2000, (not sure about a 97) but I do not have any problems of the pedals being to close, and I wear hiking boots most of the time, and I wear a 9 and 1/2 extra wide boot.

Never had that problem with my size 12 EEEE foot. (I don't so much wear the shoes as the boxes they came in! :D :D ) The only problem with the gas pedal was it broke away from where it was mounted. Common failure as Ford TSB's it. Scarey when it happens as you merge from one highway to another. Had to use the Cruise Control to get me off the highway 5 miles down the road.

It might just be laziness on our part. We both had a habit of just pivoting on the heel to apply the break...only catching the edge of the break pedal.

I also had the gas pedal break loose from the floor, in town so cruise was out of the question.

I am also going to post pictures of the damage. My brother and I are going to attempt the repair ourselves...(Lord help us!)

Boss Ross, I just got my 97 limited a few months ago. My gilrfriend rear ended someone cuz she claimed she couldnt stop "the harder I steped on the brake, the more the truck wanted to go" I looked into it, as I also experienced the same thing a few times. After much inspecting I found that the gas pedal was at the same level with the brake pedal. So when the brake pedal was pressed the gas pedal would be higher then the brake. If you were stepping on the brake and your foot was over alittle bit you would also be stepping on the gas. So I looked under the dash and found that the previouse owner did the throttel cable mod on this truck, raising the pedal up by an inch or so. Long story shot, I cut the zip ties and the pedal went back to the original position, about and inch or so lower then the brake pedal. I can fully depress the brake pedal and my foot comes no where near the gas pedal.

Thanks Studd,

I will check on this to see if that is what was done.

You might be able to change to the brake pedal from one with a manual transmission. They are not nearly as wide as the automatic.

Indeed, double-check the accelerator pedal to make sure it's not cracked and leaning to one side.

I noticed that I did that when I first got my 98. It took a couple of weeks to get used to it, but I don't notice it any more. I still manage to *occasionally* catch both, but I know it instantaneously and can shift my foot immediately to correct it, so it's really not a big deal for me.

Sorry about the accident. At least she's all right.

-Joe

When i first got my explorer i would hit the gas while breaking...i didnt know what the hell to do becasue no matter how hard i was pressing i just kept going...now im used of it now and bring my foot all the way on the pedal

I think it needs the driver modification TSB performed on it.... :p

Back